Paul Webster

Moving RPi or SD between systems

Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:31 am

I know that there can be issues when moving a working SD card between different RPi devices (e.g. Ethernet MAC address stuff) but what about different screens?
I presume that this is seen as a likely scenario for school use - where the SD card and maybe even the RPi is moved between home and school.

If someone has a requires different config.txt settings for the different screens then it will become a chore to have to edit it each time.

A thought - how about groups in config.txt - with the default as now (no groups) and then have groups based on detected RPi serial number (for people moving SD card between static RPis) and on screen id/connection type (HDMI or composite) for people moving RPi between static screens (home and school).

grumpyoldgit

Re: Moving RPi or SD between systems

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:29 am

There already is a system going with various config files such as .elf and .img where they have a descriptive name and can be used to overwrite the actual file.

Paul Webster

Re: Moving RPi or SD between systems

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:44 pm

Can you explain how it would work when RPi is moved between 2 locations with different HDMI monitors that, for examle, require different overscan settings?
I'm not saying it can be done - just asking how?

Return to “Beginners”