Gatoralum89

New user. Logged in. What do we do now?

Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:49 am

Trying to set up a raspberry pi with my son. We are both new to this. Installed the raspian and rebooted. Now we get a green prompt that says pi@raspberrypi ~$. What do we do now?

stevepdp

Re: New user. Logged in. What do we do now?

Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:13 pm

Try typing "startx" and hitting enter. You'll notice a graphical desktop appears.

Start exploring :-)

See here for a list of beginners Raspberry Pi resources

Joe Schmoe

Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:34 pm

As an aside, note that we sometimes gets posts like this - that say they did all the indicated setup tasks and ended up at the shell prompt. But, and here's the thing, shouldn't they actually end up at the prompt in the "raspi config" program? I.e., isn't that where the initial setup process is supposed to end?

Or, are we to assume that they made it through the raspi config program and then ended up back at the shell prompt? Note that this line of inquiry is not entirely without merit. The point is that if they had been through the config program, they'd have had the option to configure the system to boot to the desktop. If they had selected that option (as they should), then they'd not need the "type startx" advice.

I guess my point in all this is that maybe "boot to desktop" should be the default nowadays. Those of us who don't want it will, of course, know how to disable it.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Gatoralum89

Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:15 pm

Thanks. We figured it out before we got the reply. We went back to the beginning and then selected boot to startup in configuration. It would have been easier if that was the default. Good suggestion. Thanks.

DougieLawson

Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:22 pm

Gatoralum89 wrote:Thanks. We figured it out before we got the reply. We went back to the beginning and then selected boot to startup in configuration. It would have been easier if that was the default. Good suggestion. Thanks.
You can easily change the default action with
sudo raspi-config

I don't want my RPis to default to a GUI, I never use the GUI - so for me the default value is ideal.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Joe Schmoe

Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:53 pm

I don't want my RPis to default to a GUI, I never use the GUI - so for me the default value is ideal.
You & me both, of course.

But the salient points are:

1) We're smart enough to fix it.

2) The default should be what is desired for the majority of people (even if that majority is 51%). And even if it causes (minimal) pain for the likes of you & me.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

BMS Doug

Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:49 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:
You & me both, of course.

But the salient points are:

1) We're smart enough to fix it.

2) The default should be what is desired for the majority of people (even if that majority is 51%). And even if it causes (minimal) pain for the likes of you & me.
But the stated purpose of the Pi is to encourage more people to learn to program.

Booting to command prompt leaves the user to learn how to start the GUI and eventually learn how to set the Pi to automatically boot to GUI. Sneaky way of encouraging people to learn, I like it.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Return to “Beginners”