Nburnes
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:00 am

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:16 pm

Broke again with recent rpi-update :(

Code: Select all

Linux raspberrypi 3.1.9+ #144 PREEMPT Sun Jul 1 12:37:10 BST 2012 armv6l

MrEngman
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:10 pm

Hi All,

I've just updated the driver to handle the latest rpi-update. Download the new driver using the link on the wiki page in the Micronet SP907NS description.

I've also added a list of driver versions and compatible Linux versions in the instructions. Link also on the wiki page.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

joefly
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:23 am

HI quick question.

I previous setup the wifi dongle on a WPA2 secured network, now I want to move it to a unsecured open wifi hotspot,

Can you tell me how to change the etc/networking/interfaces file?

Thanks

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5160
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 am
Location: Berkshire, England

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:14 am

MrEngman wrote:Hi All,

I've just updated the driver to handle the latest rpi-update. Download the new driver using the link on the wiki page in the Micronet SP907NS description.

I've also added a list of driver versions and compatible Linux versions in the instructions. Link also on the wiki page.
....so you have to re compile the driver every time there is a new kernel? There must be a better way, surely. I don't see reports of other hardware needing new drivers everytime - the forum would be awash with such threads wouldn't it?

T.
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

ian.roberts
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:33 pm
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact: Website

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:42 am

I managed to do something similar ... using Mr Engman's Script and a few other snippets of info I gleaned from t'internet. I've recorded most of what I did here http://ian1roberts.blogspot.co.uk/

It may not be relevant for your set up, but hopefully will lend you some pointers. Specifically, regarding the Logitech keyboard combo. Note my Wifi Adaptor is in the USB hub.

Good luck with your set up. Ian.
---
Ian Roberts

MrEngman
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:38 am

joefly wrote:HI quick question.

I previous setup the wifi dongle on a WPA2 secured network, now I want to move it to a unsecured open wifi hotspot,

Can you tell me how to change the etc/networking/interfaces file?

Thanks
Comment out the lines

Code: Select all

wpa-ssid  "SSID"
wpa-psk "PASSWORD"
e.g.put a # at the start of the line.

Code: Select all

#wpa-ssid  "SSID"
#wpa-psk "PASSWORD"
For an unsecured network add the line

Code: Select all

wireless-essid SSID
FYI to connect to a WEP network add the lines

Code: Select all

wireless-essid SSID
wireless-key PASSWORD
Note: for unsecured and WEP there are no quotation marks surrounding the SSID or PASSWORD unlike for WPA/WPA2 networks
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

nsa666
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:21 am

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:51 am

will not do an rpi-update till this driver not officially included.

@MrEngman: your automatic script uses not very good method to detect if ethernet connection is there. It will not work with systems that have other locale than english installed beacuse "inet addr:" sounds different. For example it is "inet Adresse:" in german.

MrEngman
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:03 am

nsa666 wrote:will not do an rpi-update till this driver not officially included.

@MrEngman: your automatic script uses not very good method to detect if ethernet connection is there. It will not work with systems that have other locale than english installed beacuse "inet addr:" sounds different. For example it is "inet Adresse:" in german.
Would you like to suggest a better way? Would be helpful.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

nsa666
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:21 am

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:12 am

Simpliest way for you is to insert a line with "export LANG=C" before ifconfig. That should ensure that ifconfig is allways executed in english.

Edit: Or you do something like this: http://www.linuxscrew.com/2009/04/02/ti ... ilability/

MrEngman
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:01 am

texy wrote:
MrEngman wrote:Hi All,

I've just updated the driver to handle the latest rpi-update. Download the new driver using the link on the wiki page in the Micronet SP907NS description.

I've also added a list of driver versions and compatible Linux versions in the instructions. Link also on the wiki page.
....so you have to re compile the driver every time there is a new kernel? There must be a better way, surely. I don't see reports of other hardware needing new drivers everytime - the forum would be awash with such threads wouldn't it?
T.
Not every time. Depends what changes. There is a driver included in the kernel but I can't get it to work. First there was no firmware. Now there is firmware available but it still doesn't work. Would be useful for the guy who made the driver to have a look why and sort it out.

If the Realtek driver was included in the official kernel source then we shouldn't see these problems it would automatically get recompiled with the kernel.

There is another problem, which I find far more annoying, and I'm not sure if it's the way the rpi-update code is maintained or the way the kernel source is maintained or a mixture of both. I ran rpi-update yesterday and it updated the firmware and kernel code and reported a new kernel version #144 PREEMPT. My wifi driver was still running OK. A while later I then saw some posts from people saying the driver had stopped working with that version. I ran rpi-update again and it said the firmware was up to date and it closed. So I forced a new rpi-update, removing file .firmware_revision from the /boot directory allows rpi-update to reload code and firmware even if supposedly up to date, and the kernel reported the same version but my driver now stopped working. New kernel code had been loaded and there were loads of error messages about symbol_versions not being right. I updated my kernel source and recompiled my driver and it was back working. If the kernel version had not changed why all the symbol_version errors. Something wrong somewhere in maintaining the kernel version code?

Would be very useful if this could be sorted out.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

MrEngman
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:11 am

nsa666 wrote:Simpliest way for you is to insert a line with "export LANG=C" before ifconfig. That should ensure that ifconfig is allways executed in english.
Thanks I'll look at adding this.
Edit: Or you do something like this: http://www.linuxscrew.com/2009/04/02/ti ... ilability/
If the wired ethernet is connected and the wifi adapter is plugged in but not connected this will return a connection is available but through the wired ethernet, not the wifi.
My test is to look specifically at the wifi and see if that is connected - to see if it has an IP address assigned to it.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

User avatar
michelleantoinette
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi,

This link isn't working.

<and the script at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/install-rtl8188cus.sh>

Can you point me to a working download? Just ordered the Edimax Wireless Adaptor.

Thanks.

olibanum
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Look on this wiki page and the links are in the Micronet SP907NS, 11N Wireless LAN USB Adapter section.

MrEngman
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:04 pm

olibanum wrote:Look on this wiki page and the links are in the Micronet SP907NS, 11N Wireless LAN USB Adapter section.
Thank you, just beat me to it :lol:

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

olibanum
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:08 pm

:D
No worries, just a copypasta from one of your previous posts.

Keep on being awesome MrEngman!

User avatar
michelleantoinette
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:09 pm

Just found the wiki page! I'll be back I'm sure when I'm knee deep...

Thanks.

joefly
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:38 pm

Mr. Engman, You are extremely helpful, putting all this info is a great reference, have bookmarked it..

Thanks for all you have done.
MrEngman wrote:
joefly wrote:HI quick question.

I previous setup the wifi dongle on a WPA2 secured network, now I want to move it to a unsecured open wifi hotspot,

Can you tell me how to change the etc/networking/interfaces file?

Thanks
Comment out the lines

Code: Select all

wpa-ssid  "SSID"
wpa-psk "PASSWORD"
e.g.put a # at the start of the line.

Code: Select all

#wpa-ssid  "SSID"
#wpa-psk "PASSWORD"
For an unsecured network add the line

Code: Select all

wireless-essid SSID
FYI to connect to a WEP network add the lines

Code: Select all

wireless-essid SSID
wireless-key PASSWORD
Note: for unsecured and WEP there are no quotation marks surrounding the SSID or PASSWORD unlike for WPA/WPA2 networks

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5160
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 am
Location: Berkshire, England

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:56 pm

Hi,
I,m disappointed to say that my wifi connection is still playing up. I can say I am almost certain that it only plays up once I am in the X GUI and open up a browser,
either chromium in squeeze or midori in wheezy. It seems to last only a couple of pages worth before a 'resolving host' message appears for a while then a 'This webpage is not available.' screen appears. On both my squeeze SD card and my wheezy SD card I have only run the relevant script once since a clean image. Today on the squeeze card I ran rpi-update to get the new kernel, and then copied your updated driver to the wireless driver folder, but no change.
More info to follow.....
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

User avatar
MrBunsy
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Southampton, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi MrEngman, Thanks for posting this! Been pulling my hair out for a while trying to get it to work until I spotted you've listed all the kernel versions the different driver versions work with. Now I have a raspberry pi with wifi :D

User avatar
jbeale
Posts: 3517
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:51 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:24 pm

texy wrote:Hi,
I,m disappointed to say that my wifi connection is still playing up. I can say I am almost certain that it only plays up once I am in the X GUI and open up a browser,
either chromium in squeeze or midori in wheezy. It seems to last only a couple of pages worth before a 'resolving host' message appears for a while then a 'This webpage is not available.' screen appears. On both my squeeze SD card and my wheezy SD card I have only run the relevant script once since a clean image. Today on the squeeze card I ran rpi-update to get the new kernel, and then copied your updated driver to the wireless driver folder, but no change.
I haven't followed the whole history on this topic, but since I'm interested in the RTL8188CUS because it's one of the few that has been reported to work without an external hub...so is that the way most people use it? And if so, for those who have mysterious failures, has the onboard RPi voltage level been ruled out as a cause of trouble? Low voltage might present itself just in this way with a marginal supply- wifi works OK until increased system load heats up the input polyfuse causing higher resistance, and drops the TP1-TP2 voltage down low enough that the WiFi device cuts out.

I have only just ordered a WiFi part so it will be a while before I can try it myself. I am using this power supply http://www.adafruit.com/products/501 which is actually 5.25 V unloaded, so once the drop from the cable, connector and polyfuse happen, the RPi board gets 5.07 V and (so far) everything has worked well. But I also have all my USB devices on an external powered hub.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5160
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 am
Location: Berkshire, England

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi jbeale,
I do have a logix powered hub although I must admit, I have not measured any voltages on it.
Then again, there is more than one instance of some people using the edimax directly connected to the pi.
I have noticed that it gets fairly warm to the touch, probably warmer than anything on the pi itself.
This evening I have also tried a seperate USB psu for the pi as well as the powered hubs own psu.
Still no change. I'll get my fluke out and measure tp1/2.
T.
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

User avatar
alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2869
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:57 am
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:03 pm

jbeale wrote:I haven't followed the whole history on this topic, but since I'm interested in the RTL8188CUS because it's one of the few that has been reported to work without an external hub...so is that the way most people use it?
Yes in my case. But I'm mainly using it in command line environment. (Most of the time I use ethernet anyway.)
jbeale wrote:And if so, for those who have mysterious failures, has the onboard RPi voltage level been ruled out as a cause of trouble? Low voltage might present itself just in this way with a marginal supply- wifi works OK until increased system load heats up the input polyfuse causing higher resistance, and drops the TP1-TP2 voltage down low enough that the WiFi device cuts out.
I did some tests of the Edimax nano 7811-Un towards the end of my power measurement thread. I couldn't get the Edimax to draw more than 100mA while hammering the connection as hard as I could. It works for me with no issues in CLI.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

Viish
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:54 am
Location: Grenoble, France
Contact: Website

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:33 pm

Thanks a lot MrEngman, I used your script with a Belkin Surf N150 (050d:1102) and it worked like a charm !

DarqueSandu
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:54 am

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:01 am

Hi,

Does anybody still have the file named

8192cu-20120617.tar.gz

With it, I installed my WiFi dongle (MicroNEXT MN-WD152B) successfully under Wheezy Beta (2012-06-18-wheezy-beta). With the file

8192cu-latest.tar.gz

I have all sorts of troubles like symbols that are ambiguous to the kernel or something. Can't get it to work. So I guess I need the older driver, but can't for the life of me find it anywhere. Stoopid that I didn't just download it to a safe place, I usually do that. Because I don't like to change winning combinations. But now my SD card freaked en I need to reinstall. That's fine, but I need that file like coffee!

Anybody?

olibanum
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:09 am

Try this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/8192cu-20120617.tar.gz

Dropbox is blocked at work though so I cant test if it works

Return to “Beginners”