donrecardo

Installing software on SD card

Fri May 18, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi
a few weeks ago on Liams tuts he advised to use the Fedora remix and showed how to put it on the SD card with Fedora installer , which worked a treat.

Later it was said the new Debian release was better as the Fedora was buggy

I downloaded the Debian release to my pc but then used the the Fedora installer to instal it and
it " appears " to have installed fine . I then used Gparted to increase the partition to use the full 8Gb of the SD card . Everything seemed to go as it should and no errors popped up
I ended up with 11 files on the SD visible in windows which I think I should have

I am still waiting for my Ras Pi to arrive so cant test it yet but my question is

Is it ok to use the Fedora installer to install a Debian release or when I try my sd card in the Pi will it fail miserably ?

Don

FollowingGhosts

Re: Installing software on SD card

Fri May 18, 2012 2:40 pm

By the sounds of it, you'll be fine. Did you use Win32DiskImager to do it? If you used that or something similar, you should be fine.

donrecardo

Fri May 18, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi
I used http://files.velocix.com/c1410/fedora/i ... -1.0.0.zip

When you use the installer if you click download it will look for the fedora image but instead I clicked on browse and pointed it to the debian image that I had downloaded earlier

then I used Gparted to enlarge the partition

Don

FollowingGhosts

Fri May 18, 2012 3:42 pm

Hmmmm, I can't say either way whether it would work or not. I'm running headless now so I can't test it for you either. To be on the safe side, I'd reimage the card with Win32DiskImager but it may work as is.

nick.mccloud

Fri May 18, 2012 4:56 pm

You'll be fine. The Fedora installer is mainly GUI and download. The actual imaging is done with dd which is universal to images in general.

donrecardo

Fri May 18, 2012 5:01 pm

Thats great to hear . Thank you

Return to “Beginners”