victagayun

Re: Emulating Raspberry Pi in Windows the easy way

Tue May 15, 2012 5:09 pm

hello guys,
what is the difference of QEMU in this download and the setup i have on vmware?
im running debian 6 on vmware to learn and setup my USB broadband modem and usb wifi...

Joe Schmoe

Tue May 15, 2012 5:19 pm

guachinver wrote:I'm an absolute beginer with Debian, Qemu, and Raspberry pi
Suiving the instructions of this thread for obtain a good Keymap I have had a 90% of successful, Windows Vista Spanish and spanish keyboard. Thanks a lot I'll try to remap 6 bad keys.
Another problem:
When, from the console run startx, the graphic windows load but I lose the mouse control and obtain an annoying message:

"QEMU - Pres Ctrl-Alt to exit muse grab"

Yes, pressing Ctrl-Alt the mouse is now controlled,for windows vista, but when you clic on emulation window the cursor mouse go to top left of emulator window with losted control- The message appears.
Please, some idea?
This is working as designed. The idea is that you can't have both the emulated machine and the real PC both "owning" the mouse - it has to be one or the other. If you are working in the emulated machine (QEMU), then it has the mouse. When you press Ctrl/Alt, QEMU releases the mouse back to Windows. When you click back on the emulation, QEMU "grabs" the mouse again.

All as expected, and all desirable behavior.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 16, 2012 1:33 pm

Many thanks for sharing this - it will be very useful to us newbies. And, out of interest, if a new debian.img file appeared, we can just replace the .img file in the qemu folder and make sure the run.bat file points to it?

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

DuncanKennedy

Wed May 16, 2012 2:06 pm

victagayun wrote:hello guys,
what is the difference of QEMU in this download and the setup i have on vmware?
im running debian 6 on vmware to learn and setup my USB broadband modem and usb wifi...
The difference between vmware/virtual box and qemu is in the hardware they emulate. vmware allows you to set up virtual x86 boxes with different operating systems. Qemu does the same, but emulates many other hardware platforms as well. In this case it's being used to emulate the same arm processor being used in the Pi. The ability to emulate non-native hardware is what differentiates qemu from vmware/virtualbox.

When you're running debian on vmware, you're running the x86 version of the binaries. When you run debian using the Qemu version, you're running the actual arm versions (as supplied by the Pi foundation)that will run on your Pi when you eventually get it

Duncan
Duncan
The mind is an infinite resource, provided you don't waste it!

guachinver

Wed May 16, 2012 3:55 pm

Thanks Joe, probably my bad English has hidden something that should be highlighted.
When Qemu takes control of the mouse in the graphics window, the cursor is positioned at the top left and I can not move, the cursor, from that position. This is my real problem at this stage of learning.

mjlally

Wed May 16, 2012 7:11 pm

texy wrote:Many thanks for sharing this - it will be very useful to us newbies. And, out of interest, if a new debian.img file appeared, we can just replace the .img file in the qemu folder and make sure the run.bat file points to it?

Texy
Hi there,

Short answer, yes!

Long answer, there is bound to be a new debian squeeze release for the pi at some point. When it happens I will update things at sourceforge. It would definitely be possible to download a new debian image yourself, put it in the same folder and change the .bat file to point to it. This should work for the other images in the R Pi downloads section on this site.. arch for arm and qton, I just haven't had time to try them out yet.

I could put some instructions on the source forge page, what is there now is admittedly fairly sparse and needs more detail anyway, and perhaps a screenshot or two..

Vindicator

Thu May 17, 2012 1:37 am

The lengthy keyboard fix above solved my KBB problem.
I also used this command to fix the time zone as if your keyboard is wrong so is your time zone, most likely.
sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
In the readme file the OP shows how to fix the root login, as one does not exist.
sudo passwd root
Thank you all.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

bredman

Thu May 17, 2012 8:15 am

Please do not encourage people to create a root account. Only beginners or hardened professionals use a root account, it is extremely dangerous.

The correct method to fix the problems with root passwords is shown in the wiki
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#Passwords

Ed Raket

Thu May 17, 2012 6:29 pm

Hi guys,

It works great, but when booting i get 2 fails:

1- mount: unknown type 'vfat'
2- error: no vchiq in /proq/devices - is module loaded?

Can i change this?

Joe Schmoe

Thu May 17, 2012 7:26 pm

bredman wrote:Please do not encourage people to create a root account. Only beginners or hardened professionals use a root account, it is extremely dangerous.
Fact or opinion? Hint: It is not a fact.

Please do not pass off opinions as fact. Thank you.

Vindicator

Fri May 18, 2012 2:35 am

You beat me too it JOE LOL.
I am neither a beginner or a hardened professional and I have need of a root password.
You of course are welcome to your opinion, but a better approach would be to warn of the dangers and let the user make their choice rather than a blanket statement that may just be your opinion and not necessarily fact.

Your approach may cause unnecessary flaming and then you lose creditability to communicate your point (as a suggestion.)
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

mjlally

Fri May 18, 2012 7:28 pm

Ed Raket wrote:Hi guys,

Can i change this?
Hi Ed, so far as I know the fail errors in qemu are due to the fact it does not emulate all the pi hardware. If anybody knows more please do not hesitate to correct me!

I get quite a few fail messages before reaching the login prompt but it still works for me.

Does it get as far as login?

Ed Raket

Fri May 18, 2012 10:06 pm

mjlally wrote:
Ed Raket wrote:Hi guys,

Can i change this?
Hi Ed, so far as I know the fail errors in qemu are due to the fact it does not emulate all the pi hardware. If anybody knows more please do not hesitate to correct me!

I get quite a few fail messages before reaching the login prompt but it still works for me.

Does it get as far as login?
Oh yes, i can log in and startx no problem ;)

Joe Schmoe

Fri May 18, 2012 10:55 pm

Then I wouldn't worry about it.

Linux is well known for its "Tell them everything" attitude, both during booting and during operation. This is contrasted with the more mature, but less useful "Tell them as little as possible, because most users can't make any use of it, and it just annoys them to see it." attitude help by, er, certain other OSes.

That is, Linux tells you everything that is going on; it is up to you to figure out what matters and what doesn't. For the most part, I just ignore it all...

victagayun

Sat May 19, 2012 1:11 pm

guys,
ive tested my usb broadband and usb wifi in debian using vmware, how do i test it here in qemu?

mjlally

Mon May 21, 2012 5:11 pm

victagayun wrote:guys,
ive tested my usb broadband and usb wifi in debian using vmware, how do i test it here in qemu?
Hi there, I don't think qemu will let you emulate usb wifi hardware and if it is possible to get the emulation to see the real hardware I have no idea how that would be done. Perhaps some of the more knowledgable posters on here can answer your question.

hippy

Mon May 21, 2012 6:01 pm

Ed Raket wrote:1- mount: unknown type 'vfat'
Same for me. It doesn't seem to affect anything important.

In File Manager there's a "79 MB Filesystem" entry, and clicking on that brings up an error "Error mounting: mount: unknown filesystem type vfat" which I guess is related.

gunflame

Tue May 22, 2012 10:49 am

I'm also a complete newbie in linux, debian, raspberrypi and emulating stuff.

Your download was perfect. I spent a week trying to emulate the Raspberry and yours just works. My question is: Is there a way to change the screen resolution of the emulation?

Please be detailed in your response. I know my way around windows and everything else I try to figure it out, but this seems a bit more difficult than it should be.

mjlally

Thu May 24, 2012 6:41 pm

gunflame wrote:I'm also a complete newbie in linux, debian, raspberrypi and emulating stuff.

Your download was perfect. I spent a week trying to emulate the Raspberry and yours just works. My question is: Is there a way to change the screen resolution of the emulation?

Please be detailed in your response. I know my way around windows and everything else I try to figure it out, but this seems a bit more difficult than it should be.
I'll have a look and see what I can do.

ferrymanr

Sat May 26, 2012 8:32 am

I have downloaded and installed on a Samsung NC10 netbook under XP and working, if only rather slowly. Only problem is that screen colours are a bit mixed up - it seems blue and red are swapped - I've never seen a blue raspberry before! Any suggestions as to how to correct this?

ecm

Sat May 26, 2012 10:21 am

Oh how convenient! From clicking download to first hello world in c in less than an hour! Could have been much faster if I wasn't a novice to linux :) Both thumbs up!

hippy

Networking

Sat May 26, 2012 1:42 pm

My PC has two NIC's and two networks - 10.x.x.x and 172.16.x.x - When QEMU/Pi boots it gives itself a 10.x.x.x address ... How do I change the IP address so it's on the 172.16.x.x network ?

Under Ubuntu there's an easy to use System/Network option but could not find the same under LXDE.

mjlally

Wed May 30, 2012 11:56 pm

I'm looking into using a later version of qemu to see if it will resolve some of the issues, at the moment I've got an emulation with correct colours but networking has stopped working! Will post here if I get as far as uploading anything new.

gunflame

Thu May 31, 2012 1:33 am

Thanks mjlally. I'm working on a couple of things as well... my first task was to autologin andn autostart the graphical interface (this was VERY easy to do). My next task is to create a boot/splash/load screen image.

I'll post detailed instructions on how to do it once I figure it out.

PROGRAMMER

Thu May 31, 2012 7:41 am

mjlally wrote:I'm looking into using a later version of qemu to see if it will resolve some of the issues, at the moment I've got an emulation with correct colours but networking has stopped working! Will post here if I get as far as uploading anything new.

Thank you for all of your hard work!

How did you get colors to display correctly?

Return to “Beginners”