MoraPi

Following the Guide but i STILL can't boot :(

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:08 pm

1. When I got my kit from element 14, it included a preloaded card. I looked up various instructions for starting and they all mentioned a step which involved formatting the card, then loading software onto it. I don't understand why I would have to do all that on a card that's supposed to be preloaded. Am i misunderstanding what preloaded means?

2. I tried to run the RasPi without doing anything to the card, but rather by using it just as it came from the box. Never formatted it. Never loaded anything onto it. All i kept getting on my monitor was "detecting... detecting... detecting... etc" but never a boot screen. So its like the TV could tell something should have been coming through but nothing ever actually DID.

3. I got tired of trying that so i gave in and i went through the entire process of formatting the (preloaded) card, installing NOOBS, installing Raspian Wheezy, and the end result was having a card with two items inside. One looks like a folder and said "NOOBS_v_2_1" and the other looks like a drive and said "Boot." Mind you, this is after following the quickstart guide to a tee. I then tried running THAT in my RasPi, but this time the TV didn't even detect anything!

So now i'm stuck with a RasPi kit that i can't figure out how to make it work :(

Someone please help. I'm a newbie trying to learn.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Following the Guide but i STILL can't boot :(

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:56 pm

I looked up various instructions for starting and they all mentioned a step which involved formatting the card, then loading software onto it. I don't understand why I would have to do all that on a card that's supposed to be preloaded. Am i misunderstanding what preloaded means?
No, but those "various instructions" probably were not written for someone with a preloaded card. With a preloaded card what can happen is that the software on it is too old for a newer PI.

You are using a TV, are you using the composite input? If yes, then with NOOBS that isn't automatically detected, NOOBS presumes you are using HDMI, to get composite video (either PAL or NTSC) you need to press a numerical key, either '3' or '4'.

Many things can actually prevent the PI booting, use the wiki to find out what it might be, you can often tell by looking at the ACT LED. Things that can be wrong a.o.t. are improper power supplies, or cables. Improperly written cards, or broken card holders.

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting

itimpi

Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:08 pm

MoraPi wrote: 3. I got tired of trying that so i gave in and i went through the entire process of formatting the (preloaded) card, installing NOOBS, installing Raspian Wheezy, and the end result was having a card with two items inside. One looks like a folder and said "NOOBS_v_2_1" and the other looks like a drive and said "Boot." Mind you, this is after following the quickstart guide to a tee. I then tried running THAT in my RasPi, but this time the TV didn't even detect anything!
Sounds as if you may have extracted the NOOBS files into a folder on the card rather into the top level of the card as there should not be a NOOBS folder on the card.

DeeJay

Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:37 pm

MoraPi wrote:i went through the entire process of formatting the (preloaded) card, installing NOOBS, installing Raspian Wheezy, and the end result was having a card with two items inside. One looks like a folder and said "NOOBS_v_2_1" and the other looks like a drive and said "Boot." Mind you, this is after following the quickstart guide to a tee. I then tried running THAT in my RasPi, but this time the TV didn't even detect anything!
If you've been "following the quickstart guide to a tee" then to install Rasbian with the NOOBS installer you must have booted the RPi with it and got the NOOBS Recovery screen displayed in order to select an Operating System to install?

If that's the case, maybe your RPi is booting, but the display settings are not compatible with your screen/TV? ( NOOBS is deliberately coded to be as accepting as possible of variations in screen, but the settings it uses are not handed on to the installed Operating System.) For Raspbian, video modes can be configured in the file config.txt, which can be editted from the NOOBS Recovery screen after using Shift at boot-time. This is discussed in the troubleshooting section of the wiki. IGNORE any suggestions to edit config.txt by taking the sd card to another computer - that is not applicable to a NOOBS-installed operating system.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

MoraPi

Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:03 am

First off, thank all of you for your input. Hopefully this will be resolved soon. Moving on - I'm going to check the wiki, going down the list of possible issue to see if i run across my issue.
As for the type of hardware i'm using:
- 1080 hd tv
- hdmi cable
as far as i can tell it should be compatible. i don't see why it wouldn't be.
the card i just bought off of element 14's website so i assumed they would have sent me an up-to-date one, but i guess at this point it doesn't matter since i formatted it and tried to reinstall stuff myself.
here is what i see when i load teh card into a card reader on my mac and open it to see the contents:
2 items:
- one looks like a white drive, 1.5 mb, it says the kind of file it is is "alias"
- the other looks like a folder and is labeled NOOBS_v1_2_1. when i double click the folder, there are various items inside it, including:
- two zipped up files labelled "bootcode.bin" & "riscos-boot.bin"
- 5 black exec files labelled
"BUILD-DATA"
"RECOVER_FILES_DO_NOT_EDIT"
"recovery.cdmline"
"recovery.elf"
"recovery.rfs"
- and two folders labelled "images" and "slides"

"images" folder has a bunch of png files and xz filed (whatever that is, lol), while the "slides" folder has more folders inside of it labelled" Archlinux, default, OpenELEC, Pidora, Raspbian, RaspBMC, and RISCOS

I realize this is very thorough but i just want you guys to have all the info i have, that way you can help me out. Ok, now i'm gonna test out the solutions in the wiki. Meanwhile, if anyone has any further ideas, PLEASE let me know. I wanna start using my RasPi!!!

TY!!!!

itimpi

Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:26 am

As I mentioned earlier what you seem to have done is put onto the card the downloaded NOOBS file which is incorrect. You should have put the CONTENTS of the downloaded file on the card (I.e. all the file/folders you can currently see inside the NOOBS_v1_2_1 folder).

Burngate

Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:54 am

I've just downloaded NOOBS. It appears the top-level folder has been removed, so that confusion should have disappeared.

klricks

Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:49 pm

MoraPi wrote:...
- the other looks like a folder and is labeled NOOBS_v1_2_1. when i double click the folder, there are various items inside it, including:
"BUILD-DATA"
"recovery.cdmline"
"recovery.elf"
"recovery.rfs"

There should not be any zipped files on the SD card at all. The bootcode.bin & riscos-boot.bin file should be listed along with the other 5 files.
As others have said these files and the 2 sub directories should be at the root level of the SD card.

Also in the past is was very common to have the resellers sending out very old or outdated versions of the OS on preloaded SD cards...
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

MoraPi

Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:49 pm

Burngate wrote:I've just downloaded NOOBS. It appears the top-level folder has been removed, so that confusion should have disappeared.
dude! i just reported your post, thinking i clicked "reply"
so sorry!
i was wondering why my reply didn't seem to post :(

MoraPi

Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:51 pm

Burngate wrote:I've just downloaded NOOBS. It appears the top-level folder has been removed, so that confusion should have disappeared.
THIS was my reply:
so you went through the whole process from scratch and its working fine for you? Where did you download noobs from? cuz just last night i was downloading it from the downloads tab here, and it make a folder every time. However, even if i get the folder and simply drag over its contents onto my sd card, it'll boot and all, but ONLY until it finishes downloading one of the distros 100%. after it does that, it reverts to a blank, unresponsive screen :(

in other words:
1. i download everything on a formatted sd card
2. i plug it in and get the noobs menu
3. i select a distro, lets use raspian as an example
4. i install raspian, and wait through lovely slides while its installing.
5. once installed 100%, i see the rPi logo flash before me for a second, then th escreen reverts to a blank, unresponsive screen and i'm back to doing nothing at all

MoraPi

Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:54 pm

klricks wrote:
MoraPi wrote:...
"BUILD-DATA"
"recovery.cdmline"
"recovery.elf"
"recovery.rfs"

There should not be any zipped files on the SD card at all. The bootcode.bin & riscos-boot.bin file should be listed along with the other 5 files.
As others have said these files and the 2 sub directories should be at the root level of the SD card.

Also in the past is was very common to have the resellers sending out very old or outdated versions of the OS on preloaded SD cards...

Where would you recommend i download NOOBS?
Also, how can i see if my SD card has a hardware issue? i don't think it does cuz it seems to work fine for everything else, but at this point i'm not discounting anything. I'm extremely frustrated :(
I've even manually formatted and installed just Raspian, using code in the Terminal as instructed by this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WdiNQEkiFc

still, nothing. i don't think it should be this difficult to start using a Rpi :shock:

Return to “Beginners”