Lope

Rasperian/Debian apt, scripting, learning, questions

Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:22 pm

I'm going to learn Raspberian on the Pi and Debian for running on VPS's (x86).
I like Debian's minimalism.
I have hacked around in various Linux distros a few times but I couldn't install it on my laptop because of lack of a display-port driver.

apt packages:
My understanding is that I can only run software that has been compiled for ARM.
So any software I'll install with the apt package manager is using a source list of ARM compiled binaries.
Who hosts these binaries? Is it Debian? or raspberrypi.org?
What happens when I want to run some linux software that is not compiled for ARM.
If I obtain the source can I compile it to run on ARM?
Where can I read more about availability of linux software for the Pi, and getting things to run on it?

Would anything that works in Debian apply to Raspberian?
For example if I get a guide to setting up DNS/DHCP/lighttpd server/whatever will it work exactly the same on the Pi?

Scripting/Coding:
I'd like to get into some scripting language for Debian. My friend told me the RbPi comes with native Python scripting support.
I should probably learn a reasonable amount of Python. But I already know PHP.
Are there any PHP scripting options? Is it possible to write and run PHP scripts on the Pi, or even compile them to native code?
I'm very familiar with C. What are the options for coding in C in linux? any nice IDEs and libraries? What would be a good way to get started?

Learning Debian and Linux in general:
I believe the best way to learn is by doing.
But is there some crash course ebook Linux/Raspberian/Debian for dummies?

Displayport:
It was very unpleasant trying to get a displayport monitor to work on ubuntu 12.04/12.10.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2140956
Has anyone had any luck on Raspberian with one of these?
They're low power (10 watts 2A @ 5V) and pretty awesome
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824160064

So excited
My RbPi model B is on its way.

Thank you for creating this wonderful device and community!

cfranz

Re: Rasperian/Debian apt, scripting, learning, questions

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:35 am

Do let us know if the screen actually works as 10watts @ 5 volts is more then the USB specs allow for (500mw @ 5 v). You'll probably want to consider a powered hub which provides LOTS of power.

Again, let us know how it works. I'm certainly intrigued.

rpdom

Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:24 am

Lope wrote:I'm going to learn Raspberian on the Pi and Debian for running on VPS's (x86).
I like Debian's minimalism.
I have hacked around in various Linux distros a few times but I couldn't install it on my laptop because of lack of a display-port driver.

apt packages:
My understanding is that I can only run software that has been compiled for ARM.
Yes. Specifically those compiled for the ARMv6 (armhf) that the Raspberry Pi uses.
The Debian armel packages won't (in most cases) work with Rasbian.
The Debian armhf packages won't (in most cases) work on a Raspberry Pi, as they are compiled for ARMv7.
So any software I'll install with the apt package manager is using a source list of ARM compiled binaries.
Who hosts these binaries? Is it Debian? or raspberrypi.org?
Yes. They are created and hosted by the independent Raspbian team with the approval of the Raspberry Pi Foundation, and on mirrors provided by various companies and institutions.
Debian are not involved.
What happens when I want to run some linux software that is not compiled for ARM.
If I obtain the source can I compile it to run on ARM?
In most cases, yes. Some programs are written to run on specific processors (eg. may contain assembly code), or certain hardware (PC BIOS utilities, for example).
Where can I read more about availability of linux software for the Pi, and getting things to run on it?
Asking here is a good place to start :)
Would anything that works in Debian apply to Raspbian?
For example if I get a guide to setting up DNS/DHCP/lighttpd server/whatever will it work exactly the same on the Pi?
Yes, those examples would be exactly the same. The same goes for most of the Debian packages.
Scripting/Coding:
I'd like to get into some scripting language for Debian. My friend told me the RbPi comes with native Python scripting support.
I should probably learn a reasonable amount of Python. But I already know PHP.
Are there any PHP scripting options? Is it possible to write and run PHP scripts on the Pi, or even compile them to native code?
I'm very familiar with C. What are the options for coding in C in linux? any nice IDEs and libraries? What would be a good way to get started?
You can install the command line PHP interpreter (php5-cli) and run PHP scripts that way, or you can install the web-based PHP (php5) and use PHP webpages. I use PHP scripts a lot and they run on my Pi and my Debian PCs without any changes.

I've never used an IDE for C, just use cc or gcc on the command line. I edit in vi or Geany. I'm sure there are several IDEs available. Try apt-cache search
Learning Debian and Linux in general:
I believe the best way to learn is by doing.
But is there some crash course ebook Linux/Raspberian/Debian for dummies?
Hundreds ;)
A good place to start with the Pi is the MagPi Magazine. It is available on line and has programs and projects at all levels for the Pi. It should be easy to find with a quick search.
Displayport:
It was very unpleasant trying to get a displayport monitor to work on ubuntu 12.04/12.10.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2140956
Has anyone had any luck on Raspberian with one of these?
They're low power (10 watts 2A @ 5V) and pretty awesome
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824160064
No idea. Sorry.
So excited
My RbPi model B is on its way.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Lope

Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:06 am

cfranz:
The USB monitor is definitely not going to work on the Pi. As I said it pulls up to 2A @ 5V.
I built my own powered hub to run 2 of them on my laptop. The power input splits my laptop's 19V connection into 2 DC barrel jacks, one that powers my frankenstein hub.
Works nicely.

rpdom:
Thanks for the awesome reply!!!

Return to “Beginners”