fromthericefields

Blind Setup

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:43 am

Let me give you a bit of background so you can understand better how to help me out.

I'm a student renting a room in a house in Australia. I'm new to this sort of stuff but have a keep aptitude to learn.
We have wireless internet which I use with my laptop.

I have no screen cable of HDMI. I would like to remote access it through my laptop and use the laptop's touch pad and keyboard to experiment with the Pi

I have the Raspian image file on the SD card (8GB) but have not performed a boot up as I have no screen to see what I am doing.

I know my computer's IP address (it has 2 different IP addresses. 1 starts with 127. and the other starts with 10.

How can I set up PuTTY to connect with the Pi when I have no idea it's IP address since I can't access it?
The router is not mine but I do know it has the label bigpond so I assume that's the brand name.

I looked at tutorials but all suggested using IP with 192. and 167. but that's not what my IP starts with.

I have a Ethernet cable.

Thank you for your assistance.

I can be a little dumb at first but after the start up stage and basic understanding of the system I progress a bit faster.

pluggy

Re: Blind Setup

Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:08 pm

Option 1. Interrogate the router or whatever is issuing the IP addresses to find out what IP it issued to the Pi.

Option 2. Use some form of network scanning software to scan the network and look for the Pi's IP.

You could try nmap since theres a version for most operating systems. http://nmap.org/

If you have a smart phone you can access your network from theres an app called fing that would work.

Option 3. Cadge some form of screen for the Pi and read it off the screen.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

fromthericefields

Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:27 pm

Well that was sort of helpful but gets me nowhere closer to my intentions.

I have the pi that has not been booted up with an image file. When I connect it directly to the router via Ethernet cable and boot it up for the first time without a screen how do I know the boot was successful and the Router issued an IP address?

Keep in mind this is not my router so I can't fiddle with it too much. I was able to access a list of issued IP's so I will keep a screenshot of it so I will know which one is the pi after the IP is issued.

I found the brand name for the router; Thomson Gateway.

The internet IP for the router starts with 123.
But the issued IP for my laptop starts with 10.

What do I do with this information and how do I get the router to issue an IP to an unbooted with an image file?

Thanks

bear8642

Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:17 pm

for start up do Tab,Tab, Enter, wait a bit then with raspberry pi connected to the internet you can use pi finder:http://ivanx.com/raspberrypi/ then, on the pc, download and let it find the ip address. you should tehn be able to connect.
Bear

ghp

Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:47 pm

Hello,

your router obviously does some NAT, Network Address translation: there is a public Internet ID, but internally (in the subnet), there are local addresses. The router keeps track of these and translates public to private and vice versa).
Addresses like 10.* are used for large subnets.
Most likely, if you boot your pi connected to your network, it will receive one of these 10.* addresses. The possible number of members is 256*256*256, which is quite huge search range. In addition to this, the address for the next boot could be different.
When operating pi without a monitor, you need a static ip. Be careful, do not just assume any number, as duplicates will cause tremendous problems on the network.
There a few possibilities:
  • - ask the admin of the router to help you to find the ip address. This helps you at least once and as long the pi is running, it will keep this number.
    - set up a static ip. With the help of your router admin, look for ranges of static ip addresses, and request one for you. Then, take the sd card out of the raspi, connect to a linux machine (from there, you can read/modify the files) and set up a static ip in /etc/network/interfaces
    - ask someone with a hdmi-TV or a composite TV to give you access to this temporarily. You see, computing is a social science, too.
    - buy, loan a simple router with dhcp-server inside. Connect your laptop and raspi and setup static ip (same admin granted numbers as above).
    - there is possibly another strange option: on the gpio pins, there are serial lines rx/tx. These are by default 115000Bd 8N1, and connected to a getty-process. I have never tried this, but with some level shifters or usb-adapters you could connect your laptop to these. With a Terminal program (on unix, use miniterm), you can access the system. Adapters usb-serial to 3.3V are found in the arduino ecosystem, be sure to have a 3.3-Version.
Good luck.
Gerhard

Return to “Beginners”