arnolding

Re: How to start using your Raspberry Pi

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:11 pm

Using the latest Raspbian works well.
I suggest to revise the Quick Start about the part of Raspbian download.
The version is the same as what I used out-of-date.

Thanks,

arnold

CaptOldDog

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:00 pm

Great helper page. As you can tell by my name that I am a very old computer geezer from the mainframe era. I still find helpful information in basic forums like this. You code on halt and shutdown is a great addition. I also added a power switch to prevent unplugging each time. Thanks for your helpful information. ALSO ... I USE EXACTLY 5 VOLTS of HIGHLY REGULATED POWER !!! :mrgreen:

wannahavepi

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:05 am

Hi again.

I'm back after installing the latest image on my SD card. That did seem to do the trick.

I'm a bit disappointed that the pre-installed card from the Pi Hut wouldn't boot. I can understand cheap cards from Ebay not working, but Pi Hut is recommended as a pre-installed card source on this site.

Anyway, I'm up and running now. Thanks for the help!

meisenstadt

Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:11 am

Great comments and tips everyone. Because I have seen a lot of first-time users go through a number of hurdles, especially when trying to re-use some combination of old keyboard, mouse, mobile phone power supply, and existing desktop monitor (typically with a VGA-style connector), I thought it would be useful to post a number of 'gotchas' or 'traps' that can catch you out. I've posted seven of them at the following link, and hope you find it helpful:

Raspberry Pi 'Gotchas' and new buyer tips

Happy setup/tweaking/exploring!
-M ;-)

SimonBwende

Raspberry Pi won't boot

Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:05 pm

Hi

My son has just bought a Raspberry Pi but can't get it to boot. We've written 2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian to the 32GB Micro-SD card as per RPi Easy SD Card Setup /Copying the image to an SD card on Windows (http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setu ... on_Windows). This all went as spelt out in the instructions, but when we switch on the Pi the red PWR LED lights up but not the green ACK LED?

Any ideas?

abishur

Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:24 pm

SimonBwende wrote:Hi

My son has just bought a Raspberry Pi but can't get it to boot. We've written 2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian to the 32GB Micro-SD card as per RPi Easy SD Card Setup /Copying the image to an SD card on Windows (http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setu ... on_Windows). This all went as spelt out in the instructions, but when we switch on the Pi the red PWR LED lights up but not the green ACK LED?

Any ideas?
1) was is a blank SD card to start off with? In theory it doesn't matter but I find that doing a quick format on an SD card at least allows me to do a quick diagnostic after you write the image to the card. If the write was successful the card now has something on it. If it wasn't successfull it's still blank

2) Is there anything on the card? Even if it's windows, you should be able to see the FAT32 partition with a handful of files on it.

3) What all do you have connected to the pi? For troubleshooting purposes, you might want to disconnect everything and then power it up. Provided it works start attaching components one at a time until you find the culprit that causes it not to boot.

4) If all else fails and you have access to a voltmeter/multimeter try testing the voltage between TP1 and TP2. If it's less than 4.75V DC then you probably have an issue with your PSU
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

SimonBwende

Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:27 pm

Still can't get the 32GB card to work?

1) I did format the card.
2) The image was successfully written to it.
3) The voltage between TP1 and TP2 is 5.26V.

I tried to reformat and write the image three times but got the same result.

Very strangely I followed exactly the same process using a 8GB card from my son's phone and it worked first time?!

abishur

Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:37 pm

It's possible that the 32 GB card is one of the (thankfully decreasing) SD cards that are incompatible on the pi.

As a general side note, however, 5.26 is just barely outside the +/- 5% tolerance on the voltage input on the pi. It shouldn't prevent the SD card from working, but it is something to consider in the general, long term sense :-)

RPiJunior

Tue May 07, 2013 6:29 pm

I'm going to buy a Pi (been looking at BeagleBone Black :mrgreen: ) but after gentle nudges (I can't have it :cry: ) have chosen Mr. Pi :D . But what I do want to know is: Can I (from within Raspbian) physically break my Pi?

Code: Select all

int main() {
    try
        throw "off table";
    } catch (void e) {
        printf("Phew...");
    }
}
WARNING: I destroy! :twisted:

wirelessmonk

Tue May 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Only by overriding or ignoring safeguards. You would experience other issues first but you could damage the processor. Otherwise, no. The worst thing to happen might be having to re-flash your SD card. Have fun!

RPiJunior

Tue May 07, 2013 8:37 pm

wirelessmonk wrote:Only by overriding or ignoring safeguards. You would experience other issues first but you could damage the processor. Otherwise, no. The worst thing to happen might be having to re-flash your SD card. Have fun!
:lol: Hallelujah. I am only 11 and kind of have a habit of breaking things. Can't wait to start my GPIO in C. Oh, and no-one start on cross compiling. I will use my beloved Pi all the way. :P :mrgreen:

int main() {
    try
        throw "off table";
    } catch (void e) {
        printf("Phew...");
    }
}

RPiJunior

Wed May 08, 2013 2:56 pm

maxmal wrote: SO what am I supposed to do?
Wait for me to provide you with PiPrep, THE method of flashing your Pi.

You may be waiting a while.

int main() {
    try
        throw "off table";
    } catch (void e) {
        printf("Phew...");
    }
}

shashankrayaprolu

Mon May 13, 2013 12:55 am

Hi everyone.
I ordered and got my raspberry pi piece yesterday morning. As I did not have an SD card....I took a micro SD card , plugged into a reader and downloaded the raspibain software. When i connected this to the USB port of pi and plugged in the HDMI cable to my screen, nothing came...all the connections are working fine. Does this method have any flaws?

Regards, a newbie

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 13, 2013 9:06 am

Yes thats the wrong way to do it, the PI needs to boot from a card in its card holder, not from a card attached to an USB port.

RPiJunior

Sat May 18, 2013 8:05 am

mahjongg wrote:Yes thats the wrong way to do it, the PI needs to boot from a card in its card holder, not from a card attached to an USB port.
Buy a 256MB SD card and follow procedure here

int main() {
    try
        throw "off table";
    } catch (void e) {
        printf("Phew...");
    }
}

RPiJunior

Fri May 31, 2013 10:19 am

Maybe newbies should use BerryBoot? Any how, I am attempting to build a bootloader myself. Don't hold your hopes. :(

int main() {
    try
        throw "off table";
    } catch (void e) {
        printf("Phew...");
    }
}

WarmRaspberrypie

Re: 8gb card only shows 58mb usable space

Fri May 31, 2013 2:45 pm

Let me preface this with the fact that I probably have the computing knowledge of some of your 8yr old students.

So yesterday I successfully loaded Rasbian using RPi-sd card builder on a class 10 8gb card. I then loaded it into my Pi and went through the confg settings to change: expand the Root Partition, Keyboard layout and locale. I then successfully entered the GUI and played with some baby basic Python programming using IDLE 3 and checked out the web browser and store. At this point i'm stoked its gone so well. I exit the GUI and shut down using "sudo halt".
Here is the problem. I went to attempt to load XBMC and I noticed that when I placed my card in my Macbook Pro and clicked on Info it only showed around 50mb of usable space. The card was brand new but I didnt re-format it when I received it. Should I have? I did perform the "expand_rootfs" Function in the system config so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Now this might be a separate issue but when I went to attempt to load the the Raspbmc img onto the card using they new fangled disk imager it could not find my SD card and kept "scanning for drives". Then, since I'm such a newb, I tried in terminal but it would not execute the command "curl -O http://svn.stmlabs.com/svn/raspbmc/test ... install.py
chmod +x install.py" when I would hit enter.
Could somebody help a total newb, especially with terminal and commands?
Thanks folks

John002

Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:35 pm

For basic startting guide i made an article and might be helful for beginners

http://tektips.in/Raspberry-PI-for-Beginners.aspx

WarmRaspberrypie

Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:24 pm

Well I went back and attempted to use Disk Utility to reformat my 8gb SD card to FAT32 and it froze midway. So without any options I ejected the disk and it is now non-recognizable. Awesome. On to the next $10 card.

icarusi

Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:50 pm

What's the smallest bios style utility set that can be put on an SD card to do a POST, without a full OS install?

abishur

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:26 am

icarusi wrote:What's the smallest bios style utility set that can be put on an SD card to do a POST, without a full OS install?
You might be interested to check out the Bare Metal sub forum which seeks to answer that very question

hieunet

Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:10 am

My keyboard layout has a problem. It can't display 3 character : ~ , @ , # remainder of the keyboard is ok.
I absolutely configured the keyboard layout step by step follow the clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOpc5bDkgHA. But it still doesn't work :( . can u let me know what shoud i do to fix that problem. I'm using the Dell keyboard KB212-B
Thank u so much !!!

abishur

Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:08 pm

The video shows how to setup your keyboard correctly provided you are using a UK keyboard. Are you using a UK keyboard?

infected rex

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:45 am

I'm a littol new to python and linux. I ordered a preloded sd card, so when I first turn the pi on what should I see and do?

Twizzard

Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:12 am

I tried the New Out Of the Box (NOOBS) approach at http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads. I used the SD Association's formatter for the SD card (I used the Macintosh version; they have versions for Windows and Linux as well). Once I downloaded the NOOTBS zip file, I just needed to copy (yes, just drag and drop) the contents of the folder extracted from the zip file onto the freshly formatted SD card.

The resultant NOOBS SD card booted fine with the Raspberry Pi, giving me a choice of which distribution to install, and then offering to expand the installation to use the entire SD card.

This worked perfectly with the Macintosh, and looks like it should be almost as easy with Windows...no dd command required.

Return to “Beginners”