JxPond

NOOBS Recovery Console

Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:50 am

I was just checking out the new NOOBS image and well XBMC works just the same as if I "DD" the image on the card. Only problem is Holding SHIFT during bootup doesn't take me to the recovery menu. Formated the SD Card in Ubuntu 12.04 using FAT32.

The latest Raspbian image works fine with the hardware below if I "dd" the image.

My Pi: China Model B v2 Hynix RAM.
Using the bottom USB Port: Mechanical CMStorm KB SPANISH ISO.
SD Card: Kingston Micro SD 8GB with Kingston SD Adapter.

rdb

Re: NOOBS Recovery Console

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:11 am

Would you be able to provide details of your keyboard?

DeeJay

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:19 am

rdb wrote:Would you be able to provide details of your keyboard?
I think maybe that's what the OP posted here?
Using the bottom USB Port: Mechanical CMStorm KB SPANISH ISO.

Can I jump in with a Me Too?

Compaq Model KB-0133

A 'UK' keyboard, full QWERTY, separate function keys, separate numeric keypad and arrow/location keys.

This is a PS2 kb, connected via usb-ps2 dongle which has previously supported this keyboard and a compaq-branded Logitech ps2 mechanical mouse under a natively-booted version of Raspbian without problems. The kb works OK under Raspbian booted via NOOBS, but the 'Shift at Boot' functionality doesn't work.

Two things that have come to mind typing this -
1) I only tried Left Shift, not Right Shift.
2) There was only a single image - raspbian - in the /images directory so the initial installation went ahead without user intervention as expected. Does that affect the restoration function?

[Do you want this adding to issues on github as well?]

Thanks -
DJ
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:53 am

Have you tried repeatedly pressing the key whilst booting? I'm wondering if its a problem with reading keys that are held down rather than seeing a key down message...

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

JxPond

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:41 pm

I tried another keyboard, a cheap USB "US" layout one in both USB ports and still no luck.
The pi boots almost instantly into OPENELEC as if there was nothing before it. Both Keyboard's Shift keys work fine in XBMC.

I'll probably end up just formatting the card and seeing if Raspbian on NOOBS is any different.
Can someone explain the boot cycle. If I remember correctly it should be
1. Plug in Pi <---- Holding down SHIFT prior to plugin in.
2. See the Colored Square - GPU Bootstrap
(I imagine the recovery partition kicks in about now)?
3. Pi Logo with Linux boot text
4. Bash Prompt to startx.

DeeJay

Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:05 pm

With apologies to @JxPond for piggy-backing on this thread.

I need to mark my issue as "Withdrawn - unable to reproduce."

It turns out to be related to the HDMI-vga adaptor I am using. SHIFT on the same keyboard when the RPi is connected via a 'native' HDMI connection brings up Recovery mode as expected.)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

dom

Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:32 pm

gsh wrote:Have you tried repeatedly pressing the key whilst booting? I'm wondering if its a problem with reading keys that are held down rather than seeing a key down message...

Gordon
I believe you have to *press* shift when the message appears.
Holding it down from start of boot doesn't work.

JxPond

Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:27 pm

The issue I was having may be OpenElec specific or just do to a glitch in how the SD Card got formated.

I wasn't seeing the colored boot cube under OpenElec or the Recovery Screen where as when I erased the card put NOOBS back on and loaded Raspbian everything works as expected.

MrEngman

Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:40 pm

JxPond wrote:The issue I was having may be OpenElec specific or just do to a glitch in how the SD Card got formated.

I wasn't seeing the colored boot cube under OpenElec or the Recovery Screen where as when I erased the card put NOOBS back on and loaded Raspbian everything works as expected.
I had a similar problem. Other people have had the same problem when using Rasbian. Take a look here http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 35#p367335 for a fix if you want to use OpenELEC.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

prakar

Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:41 pm

I use a combination Logitech keyboard/mouse (they have a single USB receiver). I first installed Raspbian, then used http://michael.gorven.za.net/raspberrypi/xbmc to install XBMC, following all the instructions. However, in XBMC the keyboard was not recognised.

Naturally, i wanted to try something else. But when i rebooted, my attempts at holding down the [Shift] key did not work - i was back into Raspbian instead of the NOOBS recovery console.

Seeing some of the suggestions in this thread, i started alternating both left and right [Shift] keys instead of just holding down the left key. The keystrokes helped, i am now able to see the recovery console.

Return to “Beginners”