Museste

Putting files on the SD card

Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:52 am

Hi All, hoepfully not to a silly question

Ive set up OpenElec on my pi and am ready for some multimedia player action. Only problem is I cant figure out how to transfer music and video from my PC onto my SD card. When i plug my SD card into pc and look at in explorer all I can access is what I think is the os partion.

In the case of open elec how does one put video in the video folder?

Any advice greatly appreciated

ghans

Re: Putting files on the SD card

Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:07 am

Use an USB pendrive.

Or use WinSCP when both your Pi and PC are connected to the
same network (easy).
Or a Live Linux distro (very safe IMHO).
Or an old ext4 driver for Windows (not so safe IMHO).

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

javierfh

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:10 am

I have a little bit different setup, so not sure if that makes much sense for you...but in any case, there it goes.

I have installed berryboot and from berryboot I installed both Raspbian and OpenElec (I wanted to try both).
So in order to have some content in the SD card to use it as a demo content to show to friends, I first established a shared folder between my raspberry and the pc (using samba for that, piece of cake :) )
After that, I boot into Raspbian and copy the content from the pc into the home folder from the raspbian system. Once the content it is in Raspbian you can either watch it in raspbian or just exit.
Reboot the Raspberry and this time log into OpenElec.
When OpenElec starts, click on Videos->Files->Add Videos -> Browse -> RootFilesystem ->/media -> berryboot -> data -> Debian_Wheezy_Raspbian_2013.05.img192 -> home -> pi -> and here add the name of the folder where you have your content (or browse until you find it). This way you can add your content into Raspbian and then find it from OpenElec.

I am sure this is far from optimal and elegant solution, but it works. I was trying to make a separate partition for content, but didnt manage.. I will keep on trying though

Hope this helps you

ghans

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:20 pm

Ah yes ...
but doesn't one of the XBMC distros ship with SAMBA enabled by
default ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Museste

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:16 pm

Thanks for your responses guys

I have managed to get video on the pi :). Thanks for recommending winSCP ghans, with a little help from youtube was quite an easy process. Javierfh Berryboot sounds most useful and I will be checking out.
OpenElec is so easy to set up and use, just a shame populating it requires an extra few steps but im sure usb transfer will be something on their list for future releases.

Thanks again

Steven

Return to “Beginners”