qzroadqqx

Share disk between machines raspbian

Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:58 am

I I have two 'Raspberry Pi' and other computers on my LAN, what disk sharing system according to the OS you recommend me to use?
LAN types I use, not simultaneously:
1. Only Raspbian - Raspbian
2 Raspbian - linux (several OS)
3 Raspbian - Linux - windows

I have doubts if SAMBA is the most appropriate system or maybe install a DLNA / UPnP on a Raspberry or perhaps other solutions depending on the LAN to use
Thanks in advance

RaTTuS

Re: Share disk between machines raspbian

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:13 am

my votes goes to samba
if you need a windows machine anywhere then samba is going to work
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

sprinkmeier

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:27 pm

I use sshfs and winscp for legacy support.
YMMV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSHFS
http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

rpdom

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:29 pm

My network shares are all NFS for my Linux systems and one of them is also a Samba share for my wife's windows laptop.

SASDOE

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:51 pm

I don't have a Windows computer so can't say whether or not this works wih windows, but google is your friend for that. For sharing files between your RPis and other computers I would recommend using SSHFS, easy to install, coupled with autofs it works like a charm for me. Here is a tutorial for installing it on a RPi : http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 29&t=23156

solar3000

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:42 pm

I have on my LAN:
* various windows
* various Linux
* various android devices
* raspberry pis
* IP cameras (busybox - a stripped down variant of linux)

My file server is on Linux. I use samba that usually comes with Linux.
Samba can server files for windows, linux, mac, android, etc...
Samba can pretend to be a windows file server or a linux file server.

When serving files like windows, the client sees no permissions or users and symbolic links are resolved on the server before being sent.
When serving files like *nix, the client gets permissions and as the user it is on the server. symbolic links are enabled. This mode can be complicated for the client. and if you're not careful you can delete files on the wrong machine.
About sym links: Lets say you have a symlink on your file server like this:
/myLibrary -> /usr/lib64
On the server, when you cd to myLibrary, you will see files in /usr/lib64.
On the client, if you mount the share to /mnt/tmp, then cd to /mnt/tmp/myLibrary, you will see files in your own local hard drive's /usr/lib64 not what's on the server.

Once you understand this hairy setup, it can be very useful for lets say a RPi web server.
Antikythera

penguintutor

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:38 am

My vote would be for samba too.

I use that on my home network even though it is almost exclusively Linux (a couple of laptops have dual boot with Windows, but they are only really used for the kids to play games so don't really use the network shares). You can also access a samba server when using an Android phone (with appropriate file manager app).

Samba is a fast protocol. By default there is no encryption of the data which is good for performance, but not secure if anyone is listening in although if using WPA for wireless then that encrypts the data. If you have a reasonably secure home network, or don't have private information on a share then it's not usually a major problem.

Samba works well enough for playing videos across my local network (using xbmc) and anything else I throw at it.

When connecting from outside of my local LAN then I use scp / sftp. You could also use sshfs, which works with Linux. You can get sshfs clients for Windows, but I don't know how good they are.

Return to “Beginners”