castlechef

Can the pi run Debian with gnome 3?

Thu May 16, 2013 9:22 pm

Hi, I am thinking about buying a raspberry pi model B, but since it can't run Ubuntu but it can run Debian, can it run Debian with gnome 3, or fedora 18 with gnome? Since Ubuntu is basically Debian with a facelift and a boob job is this a way around getting an Ubuntu like OS on the pi? Thank you in advance for anyone who responds :D

joan

Re: Can the pi run Debian with gnome 3?

Thu May 16, 2013 9:37 pm

I don't see why not. It'll be very, very, very slow though, to the point of being unusable. Not enough memory or CPU grunt.

castlechef

Thu May 16, 2013 9:40 pm

:/ not even with the model B? Well that sucks.

pluggy

Thu May 16, 2013 9:59 pm

The recent (early 'B's had 256) 512 'B' is borderline on memory for Gnome 3. (it would be better with more but it will run) Its still got the same CPU as the A though, all the GUI OS' on the Pi are barebones for a reason. Its pretty slow for a modern computer.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

castlechef

Fri May 17, 2013 7:48 am

What if I connected two Raspberry Pis together? Would that have enough ram and processing power to run? Could I overclock the processor to make it run faster? Can you use a kind of SD readyboost for the Pi? Thanks all!

Maxion

Fri May 17, 2013 7:52 am

castlechef wrote:What if I connected two Raspberry Pis together? Would that have enough ram and processing power to run? Could I overclock the processor to make it run faster? Can you use a kind of SD readyboost for the Pi? Thanks all!
It wouldn't really be practical or work. The Pi isn't really a good desktop replacement.

RaTTuS

Fri May 17, 2013 8:26 am

castlechef wrote:What if I connected two Raspberry Pis together? Would that have enough ram and processing power to run?
no - well you will have double ram and CPU but you need to do a lot of work to make them co-operate in a fashion you want
Could I overclock the processor to make it run faster?
yes
Can you use a kind of SD readyboost for the Pi? Thanks all!
no - readyboost is not very useful even on windows machines IMO , in fact on linux machines spare RAM is used for caching stuff anyway

the RPi is not a desktop machine - it can run things but not at the speed you probably want for a desktop computer...
however
RISCOS is great ,
terminal stuff works fine
and the camera is ace.
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

gregor3000

Tue May 21, 2013 7:47 am

Gnome is just a destktop environment. a way to interact with computer. what do you actually want to use the Pi for?

Gnome Shell is RAM hungry, CPU intensive and also needs some nice 3D acceleration. all things are not available or in short supply on Pi.

LlyrP

Wed May 22, 2013 12:16 am

Debian, yes. Definitely.
GNOME3, as others have said, not so much.

For something GNOME 2-like, Mate should work (in theory - haven't tried since my Pi isn't here yet). It will lag a little, even on an overclocked & overvolted Model B.

G3 & KDE4 will lag like hell on the Pi. I'm talking like 20 minute startup times and <1fps rendering. I've attempted to run them on similar (and even higher) spec ARM hardware before and, well, the result generally needed a reboot :)
Use your own judgement when following any instructions from the forum. I take no responsibility if you fry anything...
--
LlyrP :: http://llyrpenrose.com/

JamesPi123

Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:14 am

Now with the Pi 3 with 1GB ram and 1.2ghz default clock is it possible

RaTTuS

Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:21 am

slighty faster .... but not usable really
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

tpylkko

Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:30 am

JamesPi123 wrote:Now with the Pi 3 with 1GB ram and 1.2ghz default clock is it possible
I wonder if you are trying to state that it is possible or whether you are trying to write a question?

Any which way, the fact is that you might be able to get GNOME3 started on a pi, but it will be unusable. Right now I am running GNOME3 with only Chromium running and RAM use is at 2.7 GB. Not only that, GNOME3 uses 3D graphcis, animations and all that...

The fastest and most aesthetic DE experience will definetly come with default Raspbian which uses LXDE. You can use other DE's and WM's but why would you ever want to use the most heavy weight DE possible on such a device?

JamesPi123

Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:46 am

tpylkko wrote:
JamesPi123 wrote:Now with the Pi 3 with 1GB ram and 1.2ghz default clock is it possible
I wonder if you are trying to state that it is possible or whether you are trying to write a question?

Any which way, the fact is that you might be able to get GNOME3 started on a pi, but it will be unusable. Right now I am running GNOME3 with only Chromium running and RAM use is at 2.7 GB. Not only that, GNOME3 uses 3D graphcis, animations and all that...

The fastest and most aesthetic DE experience will definetly come with default Raspbian which uses LXDE. You can use other DE's and WM's but why would you ever want to use the most heavy weight DE possible on such a device?
So you're saying no?
And would it be possible to install KDE on raspbian?

tpylkko

Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:25 am

Just try it, then you will understand what I mean. The answer to the question is: yes KDE can be installed.

Return to “Beginners”