JustVisiting85

Accessing Other Computers On the Network

Mon May 06, 2013 3:58 pm

Hi All,

There are lots of guides online for using Samba and the like to make the contents of my RPi visible to the other computers on my network, but I can't seem to find anything going the opposite direction. I suspect it is because it's so simple that nobody but me has ever been a big enough noob to need help with it.

So, I'm looking to access files from shared folders on the windows machines elsewhere on my network. I've managed to find them through the GUI (since it's similar enough to Windows that I can fumble my way through), but I can't seem to sort it out from the command prompt. Where in the Linux file structure will I find folders stored on other computers?

Thanks,
JV

tedhale

Re: Accessing Other Computers On the Network

Mon May 06, 2013 7:43 pm

the smbmount command will do what you want.
- Ted B. Hale
http://raspberrypihobbyist.blogspot.com

DaveDriesen

Mon May 06, 2013 8:03 pm

Linux works with mount points -- similar to mapping a network drive in windows but the network location "becomes part of" your directory structure. You may be somewhat familiar with this method of mapping network locations as a similar mechanism is also available in NTFS 5.0 and up, available since Windows 2000.

The recommended way of accessing windows shares nowadays is by leveraging CIFS, something which is easily accomplished on your raspberry pi.

You can mount a windows (CIFS) drive using the mount.cifs command:

Code: Select all

mount.cifs //servername/share mountpoint -o username=foo,password=bar,domain=example.local
where:
servername = the windows machine hosting your share
share = your windows share name
foo = your windows user name
bar = your windows password
example.local = your domain

example:

Code: Select all

cd /mnt
mkdir mylocalfolder
mount.cifs //192.168.1.2/Public /mnt/mylocalfolder -o username=ddriesen,password=mypassword,domain=pandemonium.local
I am not aware of an ad-hoc way of accessing network locations from the command line, but am also not aware of a need for one.

Good luck!

Dave Driesen
Linux dev and oldskool elite

JustVisiting85

Mon May 06, 2013 8:43 pm

Worked like a charm!

Thanks

picky-picasso

Sat May 24, 2014 11:47 pm

JustVisiting85 wrote:I've managed to find them through the GUI (since it's similar enough to Windows that I can fumble my way through), ...
Can you (or someone) explain how you've managed to do that (for even bigger noobs like me?!)

Thanks in advance.

pp

edwincarter1976

Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:53 am

Really!?!? Nobody will answer this in the last 4 years? I am a new to the Raspberry Pi and I plan to do many things with it, but I keep running across this exact same stuff all over the internet. People everywhere will state that they succeeded in said project, but then they don't state how they did it or give steps on how it was done. Then everyone will ask how they did it, but no one will answer. I am pretty sure it is much easier to explain how something was done rather than actually doing it, so if they went through the hard work of getting it done, why not help others out by direction. I guess computer nerds are getting as bad as the rest of the world by gloating about something but not helping others.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:35 pm

actually how it works is explained in this very thread where you complained in that nobody is explaining how it works, viewtopic.php?f=91&p=1292029#p344524 which is exactly as any other linux system talks to windows systems (your "other computers") over the network.

in may 2013 (that is 5 years ago!) user JustVisiting85 already understood the explanation from DaveDriesen.

p.s. its not really helpful to start offending the very same people that could help you in your very first post.
asking questions online is easy, be polite and explain exactly the question you would like to ask, and remember the answer might be different from previous experiences you had with windows.

good luck... ;)

KLL

Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:43 pm

Return to “Beginners”