infostocksy

Installing Image Writer under Wheezy

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:38 pm

I was delivering an Introduction course to the Raspberry Pi the other day, I presented the majority of the material using the Raspberry Pi via LIBRE OFFICE, but when it came to creating the WHEEZY SD BOOT disc I had to use a WINDOWS machine and WIN32DISKIMAGER, this is a course for beginners so don't want anything to complex and WIN32DISKIMAGER is EASY to explain and demonstrate to beginners, BUT it would be great if I could show people how to install and run IMAGEWRITER or another GUI type app under WHEEZY so I didn't need to boot up a WINDOWS machine.

Apologies if this has been answered before, did have a search, but didn't find what I was looking for.

Many thanks in advance.

Steve

pete910

Re: Installing Image Writer under Wheezy

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:51 pm

gdiskdump is one, it's a frontend for the native dd command.

unetbootin is another, both should be in the repos

edit:

or open a console and type

Code: Select all

dd if=2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian.img of=/dev/sdx
x been your particular sdcard eg sdh

Which is how i do them. might be a bit dangerous for newbies though as dd's other name is "Disk Destroyer" :roll:

Pete.

infostocksy

Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:03 pm

Am I missing something ?

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo apt-get install gdiskdump

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done

E: Unable to locate package gdiskdump

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo apt-get install unetbootin

Building dependency tree

Package unetbootin is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'unetbootin' has no installation candidate
pi@raspberrypi ~ $

Cheers
Steve :D

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:51 pm

infostocksy wrote:Am I missing something ?

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo apt-get install gdiskdump

Building dependency tree

E: Unable to locate package gdiskdump

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo apt-get install unetbootin

Building dependency tree

Package unetbootin is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'unetbootin' has no installation candidate
pi@raspberrypi ~ $

Cheers
Steve :D
Hi Steve,
I've just used synaptic's search facility on an updated and upgraded Pi and my Ubuntu netbook to check the availability of Pete's suggested tools. It looks as if whilst unetbootin does exist for Ubuntu (Debian based), gdiskdump doesn't and neither are available for the Pi (no versions for its architecture perhaps?). So, "you're NOT missing something" :) , the archives are :cry: .
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Joe Schmoe

Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:42 pm

Note that it really doesn't make much sense to talk abut writing the SD card image on the Pi - a pretty obvious chicken-and-egg problem. Yes, I know that us cool people can think of situations where we'd be using the Pi itself to write the image - but that's not going to be the case for the beginner.

As I've pointed out in another thread, there's always going to another computer involved in the process of getting up and running - for most people, usually a Windows machine. For me, generally a Linux machine.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

infostocksy

Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:50 pm

What a shame, I presented a whole 6 hour introduction to the Raspberry Pi and used Libre Office to display all the information I had prep'd - but had to drop to a WINDOWS machine to show people how to create the OS image on the memory card - which failed cause I didn't have admin rights to install WIN32DISKIMAGER LOL ! Would have been brilliant to have not used another computer other than the little Raspberry Pi that can :)

Steve

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:57 pm

infostocksy wrote:What a shame, I presented a whole 6 hour introduction to the Raspberry Pi and used Libre Office to display all the information I had prep'd - but had to drop to a WINDOWS machine to show people how to create the OS image on the memory card - which failed cause I didn't have admin rights to install WIN32DISKIMAGER LOL ! Would have been brilliant to have not used another computer other than the little Raspberry Pi that can :)

Steve
Not quite as "cool", but how about turning the Windows machine into a Linux one by booting up a "Live Distro" on CD/DVD or USB stick. I haven't used it for a while, but, I think "Puppy Linux", which is also available for the Pi (although I haven't tried it yet) may have a more "GUI-like" imaging tool. That was one of the few small Linux distro's that managed to run upon every laptop or netbook I tried it on a few years back.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

modmanentertainment

Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:34 pm

I compiled unetbootin from SRC for the pi. You can find it in PiStore under apps called "unetbootinforpi" Happy hunting!

The Modman

Return to “Beginners”