benrox

installing vnc and useing the hdmi in my laptop

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:14 pm

ive never used linux or unix what ever the pi uses and im trying to get it to work of of my laptop so i got tight vnc and i realised that it uses the ethernet but i want to use the hdmi cable and when i plug it in it does nothing and when i tryed installing vnc to my pi i used the code that it said i should use and it says cant do that job or something and i dont know why but if i could work my pi without plugging it in that would be nice too but i also want to use the hdmi also like i said ive never used linux or unix ive onely ever used windows and that is much simpler ive allready installed vnc and running it right now and i dont see why linux/unix has to be so much harder]

abishur

Re: installing vnc and useing the hdmi in my laptop

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:59 pm

Welcome to the forums first off :-)

Let's tackle this issue step by step.

You're saying you want to use your HDMI and an ethernet cable. You can do both those things, can you explain what is preventing you from doing this?

And a small request, can you use punctuation? I want to help out, but it's hard to follow what you're asking for without proper punctuation :-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

benrox

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:06 pm

well i cant install vnc on my pi but i tried the code in the read me but it came up with an error saying "no such job" or something like that and i dont know how else to install it.

benrox

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:08 pm

and this is the code i typed "% cd ..% ./vncinstall /usr/local/bin /usr/local/man" like i said ive never used linux so im not too sure

abishur

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:12 pm

Are you using your pi at this point with a graphical interface (a GUI) or straight from the bash prompt (or through the bash prompt over SSH via some program like putty?)

benrox

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:16 pm

the gui wheezy

Cloudcentric

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:28 pm

What has the HDMi Cable go to do with VNC ??

The Operating System is Raspbian "wheexy" http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads
I know everything about nothing"

benrox

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:31 pm

Cloudcentric wrote: The Operating System is Raspbian "wheexy" http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads
i know

Cloudcentric

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:34 pm

benrox wrote:
Cloudcentric wrote: The Operating System is Raspbian "wheexy" http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads
i know
The desktop environment is LXDE

..also What has the HDMi Cable go to do with VNC ??

abishur

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:38 pm

benrox wrote:the gui wheezy
Awesome. So you have it connected to a monitor and presumable a keyboard/mouse there also?

If so, open up the program called "terminal"

In the terminal window type

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install tightvncserver
The command sudo gives you "administrator" privileges and will let you install the program

The program apt-get is a very useful program that automatically downloads and installs the program of your choice

Install is telling apt-get that you want to install a program (conversely putting "remove" instead of "install" tells apt-get you want to uninstall the program)

Finally, tightvncserver is the name of the package (program) you want to install.

benrox

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:41 pm

you mean what the hdmi has to do with VNC well i dont know i onely heard about VNC like an hour ago so im still not too sure what it is but i know that you can use it to use laptop screens for other computers but im not too sure if you can use the hdmi but if you can great if you cant oh well ill just use the ethernet

abishur

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:42 pm

benrox wrote:
i know
This is something you'll get a lot on Linux forums, people are sticklers for being painfully precise with what you call things even though they know what you mean (i.e. it's the gui [on the] wheezy [distro]) it's almost a form of hazing ;-)

abishur

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:44 pm

benrox wrote:you mean what the hdmi has to do with VNC well i dont know i onely heard about VNC like an hour ago so im still not too sure what it is but i know that you can use it to use laptop screens for other computers but im not too sure if you can use the hdmi but if you can great if you cant oh well ill just use the ethernet
Ah, I see. VNC is a program which lets you control a remote's computer mouse/keyboard. This means that if you were sitting at the computer and someone VNC'd into the computer you were at you would see them moving your mouse pointer and typing words in on your screen.

The end result is that yes, you can use HDMI in conjunction with VNC :-)

benrox

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:52 pm

abishur wrote:
benrox wrote:you mean what the hdmi has to do with VNC well i dont know i onely heard about VNC like an hour ago so im still not too sure what it is but i know that you can use it to use laptop screens for other computers but im not too sure if you can use the hdmi but if you can great if you cant oh well ill just use the ethernet
Ah, I see. VNC is a program which lets you control a remote's computer mouse/keyboard. This means that if you were sitting at the computer and someone VNC'd into the computer you were at you would see them moving your mouse pointer and typing words in on your screen.

The end result is that yes, you can use HDMI in conjunction with VNC :-)
well thank you i cant usemy pi at the moment my mother is watching tv so when she gets bored ill try it and ill let you know if i get it to work or not

Cloudcentric

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:54 pm

abishur wrote:
benrox wrote:
i know
This is something you'll get a lot on Linux forums, people are sticklers for being painfully precise with what you call things even though they know what you mean (i.e. it's the gui [on the] wheezy [distro]) it's almost a form of hazing ;-)
Thank you for the comment, as I am not allowed to be rude on a open forum, all I will say "whatever"

abishur

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:58 pm

Cloudcentric wrote:Thank you for the comment, as I am not allowed to be rude on a open forum, all I will say "whatever"
:lol: well played

abishur

Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:00 pm

benrox wrote:well thank you i cant usemy pi at the moment my mother is watching tv so when she gets bored ill try it and ill let you know if i get it to work or not
If you're okay with playing at the bash prompt (Windows calls it the Command Prompt or the Dos prompt), you can use a program like putty to SSH into your pi using only an ethernet cable. It lacks the pretty gui stuff, but you can do *amazing* things with it if you have the patience to learn it.

Cloudcentric

Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:03 pm

OP lots of info relating to Raspbian "wheezy" on the Pi Computer

http://elinux.org/RPi_Tutorials

benrox

Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:20 pm

abishur wrote:
benrox wrote:well thank you i cant usemy pi at the moment my mother is watching tv so when she gets bored ill try it and ill let you know if i get it to work or not
If you're okay with playing at the bash prompt (Windows calls it the Command Prompt or the Dos prompt), you can use a program like putty to SSH into your pi using only an ethernet cable. It lacks the pretty gui stuff, but you can do *amazing* things with it if you have the patience to learn it.
ok but can i just say im not a complete noob i know python and javascript i just have never used linux before

abishur

Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:39 am

benrox wrote:
abishur wrote:
ok but can i just say im not a complete noob i know python and javascript i just have never used linux before
Absolutely! A long, long time ago I tried to make the transition to linux (I actually tried several times over the course of many years), and it was only with the pi that I've made such a strong switch to linux! The bash prompt can be very intimidating, but it's worth learning just some basic commands in it as they can come in *really* handy even in the GUI environment.

A while back ago one of the mods (I think Liz) gave a link to this site for learning the shell

http://linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php

It might be worth the read, if you find yourself with some spare time to play around in the bash :-)

tonyhughes

Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:24 am

The HDMI on a Pi is an output.
The HDMI on your laptop is probably an output.

It sounds like you were hoping to use HDMI to connect both devices together?

If you load up Wheezy onto your SD card and plug in the power and network cables to your Pi, you can use SSH from your laptop to login, no tv needed.

SSH lets you have a command prompt, and if you want to use your laptop to see the desktop on the Pi, thats where VNC comes in handy. Google is your friend to understand what VNC is.

xrdp is a good alternative to VNC on the Pi too.

Return to “Beginners”