Defested

Problem with New PI

Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:52 am

I just received my first raspberry Pi in the mail

I ripped open :D
I set it up. it didn't work....
so here is my setup
Raspberry pi-B, HDMI, 8GB SD card speed4, USB keyboard/mouse, 700mA 5v power cord/wall wart.

here is what I have tried.
used win32 disk imager to put Wheezy img file onto SD
hooked up PI, Nothing happened. red light on, green light flashed for quarter of a second.
nothing on screen (no detected input)
tried with a new SD card (same specs)
Nothng happened :x
changed config.sys with
hdmi_safe=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
re-hooked everything and reset power to Pi. :x
reset config and tried RCA, still nothing...

Here are all the simple solutions I could find online
Does anybody have any other ideas on how to fix this that are not here?

rpdom

Re: Problem with New PI

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:37 am

Try another power supply.

700mA is the minimum recommended rating, and a lot of supplies claim they can give that but the voltage will drop if you get anywhere near drawing that much. (I have a no-name supply supposedly rated at 5V 1000mA, but the voltage drops to 3.6V when I draw just 500mA from it).

If you can, find a voltmeter/multimeter and test the voltage between the points marked TP1 and TP2 on the board. It should be between 4.75 and 5.25V, but the closer to 5V the better.

Defested

Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:29 pm

I have used this power supply for my arduino projects. it stays at nice 5v volts and can go up to 1A(even though its rated for .7A.

Another thing Ive checked is the SD card. it is on the list of known working SD cards, but it doesnt work.

Willy

Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:46 pm

Try booting with no mouse or keyboard attached. I have a usb keyboard with a built in usb hub that takes too much power to allow correct function.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:18 pm

Hmm... in the last two weeks or so there have been a number of posts about "unbootable Pi's" listing similar symptoms esp. "green LED (act) flashing for about/less than a second". Said normally flashes for some time as the Pi boots up from the first partition on the SD card. (For more info. on LED sequences and patterns see http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting). Another common factor has been the use of the "win 32 disk imager" to write the SDHC card. This may mean that there is (now) a problem with that tool - I don't know whether that's so because I use Ubuntu Linux's ImageWriter. One other possibility does come to mind though: SDHC cards can only be written "with certainty" by an SDHC compatible card read/write device (although they may be readable by an SD device). My netbook is about 2.5 years old and it's card slot is not marked as SDHC compatible so I use an external "USB stick-like, SDHC reader/writer (supplied with the SDHC card when purchased) instead, without any observed problems. Hopefully other forum members will be able to comment further. Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Spid

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:28 pm

I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !

Return to “Beginners”