Mobius

Can't install imagemagick

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:27 pm

I found a tutorial on setting up the Pi to stream webcam video but it requires imagemagick as one of the packages. When I try "sudo apt-get install imagemagick" I get several of the following type of error messages:

Failed to fetch http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/rasp ... magemagick....

404 Not Found

I'm using the 10/28/2012 version of Wheezy Raspbian and have no issue installing other packages.

Spid

Re: Can't install imagemagick

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:37 pm

Have you updated Raspbian ? The latest release was 16/12/12 !

Go to command line and type following pressing enter key after each entry

sudo su
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
sync
reboot
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !

Mobius

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:39 pm

Spid wrote:Have you updated Raspbian ? The latest release was 16/12/12 !

Go to command line and type following pressing enter key after each entry

sudo su
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
sync
reboot
The tutorial specifies that it was done with the 10/28/2012 version which is what I am running.

rpdom

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:35 am

Mobius wrote:The tutorial specifies that it was done with the 10/28/2012 version which is what I am running.
Yes, but that is an oldish version. A lot of the software on it is no longer the current version.

The Raspbian servers only have more recent versions of the various packages, so you won't find an old ImageMagick on them anymore.

You need to at least do

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install imagemagick
The instructions in the tutorial should still work.

You will probably get some other software upgraded at the same time. This is a good thing. Bug fixes and all that.

If you get a message about "x packages not upgraded", then you should run the sudo apt-get dist-upgrade as well.

There is usually no need to do a reboot after an upgrade. The majority of programs will either restart themselves, or use the new version when you next run them.

Mobius

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:16 pm

rpdom wrote:
Mobius wrote:The tutorial specifies that it was done with the 10/28/2012 version which is what I am running.
Yes, but that is an oldish version. A lot of the software on it is no longer the current version.

The Raspbian servers only have more recent versions of the various packages, so you won't find an old ImageMagick on them anymore.

You need to at least do

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install imagemagick
The instructions in the tutorial should still work.

You will probably get some other software upgraded at the same time. This is a good thing. Bug fixes and all that.

If you get a message about "x packages not upgraded", then you should run the sudo apt-get dist-upgrade as well.

There is usually no need to do a reboot after an upgrade. The majority of programs will either restart themselves, or use the new version when you next run them.
Thank you. I didn't realize that the Linux internals and apps were so interdependent. Nor did I realize that the libraries for older Raspbian releases were not maintained for some time. I did have to re-run the rest of the installs because the "sudo fswebcam --verbose" command came back with a "Command not found".

rpdom

Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:07 pm

Mobius wrote:Nor did I realize that the libraries for older Raspbian releases were not maintained for some time.
The reason that Raspbian packages are changing quite frequently at the moment is that Raspbian is tracking Debian "Wheezy", which is the current "testing" release of Debian. The reason for this is that the current "stable" version (Squeeze) is nearing the end of it's life and Wheezy will shortly replace it as the current "stable" release. We want to be running reasonably up to date software on our Pis.

When that happens (in the next few months), updates will be limited to security related updates and serious bug fixes. Most software will then stay at the same version for the next couple of years.

On the actual Debian servers, their old versions are usually kept for some time, but that takes a lot of space.

Return to “Beginners”