Jim JKla

Education Release Proposal/Discussion

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:58 am

I was not sure where to put this but as it will effect basic setup Iv'e decided here.

We know the "A" is due and it has it's given price point.

I have to assume given the way things are manufactured it will probably now come with the 512 memory.

At some point cost of manufacturing will start to drop due to econnomies of scale at this point would it be viable to connect an n150 wi-fi direct to the USB of the forthcomming "A" or the Educational release.

These n150's are marketing at <£5 on E-Bay so component price has to be well bellow that to allow for manufacturing, packaging and shipping. With a standard n150 on the board we would have a standard wireless communication device school ready.

I have no idea if this is viable feel free to ridicule. I have broad shoulders and can take it. :lol:
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

Cloudcentric

Re: Education Release Proposal/Discussion

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:32 am

One of your more sensible posts, yes built in WiFi would be good, the Rikomagic MK802 has always had that function !
I know everything about nothing"

rpdom

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:08 pm

I suppose it would be possible with a redesign of the board. But you'd end up with no USB left for anything like a keyboard and mouse. It would be fine for running headless.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:34 pm

Cloudcentric wrote:One of your more sensible posts, yes built in WiFi would be good, the Rikomagic MK802 has always had that function !
Starting a post with 'one of your more sensible posts' is not a sensible thing to do. It's rude. We don't like rude.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

jamesh

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:36 pm

Jim JKla wrote:I was not sure where to put this but as it will effect basic setup Iv'e decided here.

We know the "A" is due and it has it's given price point.

I have to assume given the way things are manufactured it will probably now come with the 512 memory.

At some point cost of manufacturing will start to drop due to econnomies of scale at this point would it be viable to connect an n150 wi-fi direct to the USB of the forthcomming "A" or the Educational release.

These n150's are marketing at <£5 on E-Bay so component price has to be well bellow that to allow for manufacturing, packaging and shipping. With a standard n150 on the board we would have a standard wireless communication device school ready.

I have no idea if this is viable feel free to ridicule. I have broad shoulders and can take it. :lol:
It won't have 512 on release. I have no idea whether 512 will ever become cheap enough to maintain $25.

WiFi would require a board redesign which is not going to happen in the short term, as its expensive and would require new EMC testing. And we all know how long that takes.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Cloudcentric

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:53 pm

rpdom wrote:I suppose it would be possible with a redesign of the board. But you'd end up with no USB left for anything like a keyboard and mouse. It would be fine for running headless.
That is not rude, it is stating an opinion :evil:
I know everything about nothing"

Jim JKla

Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:00 pm

Knowing how long things like EMC testing take is why I am kicking this around now.

I would not expect it to be implemented unless it was an easy fix.

I was told when USB hit the fan years ago that it's advantage was the bus was capable of handling up to 255 devices if you included itself.

Obviously there's more knowledge of USB than I have forgotten about RS232 serial comms.

Back in the day I was building back to back crossover NULL modem cables for DOOM players.

Somewhere in my archive is an 8 bit medusa/octopus card and cables waiting to turn someone into stone. :lol:

Don't worry about Cloudcentric being rude james he's probably right. I can take it ;) He's right he was expressing an opinion. A rude opinion but still an opinion

As for the memory if they are making the chip 512 for the "B" surely using the same chip for the "A" is a no brainer. :?
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

Return to “Beginners”