BillF

How do I connect to a home network

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:17 pm

As a beginner to Pi (but not to Linux) I was hoping to have sight of my home network.
I am using Debian Wheezy and prefer the GUI as I normally get lost when using terminal mode.
I want to see the home network so that I have access to music and video files from a network hard drive.
I can do this easily using a PC running Ubuntu, so I know my system is working OK, I just do not know how to see networks on the Pi.

Sorry if this is a bit basic for you of if it's been dealt with a hundred times in the forum, but all I could find was some rather complicated code from some very smart users that scared me.

Can anyone let me know how to do this?

Spid

Re: How do I connect to a home network

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:23 pm

Have you installed SAMBA ? It is available from the repository !

http://www.samba.org & http://www.samba.org/samba/GUI
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !

BillF

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:24 pm

No I havn't I'll give it a go.
Thanks

will Samba work OK in Debian?

Spid

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:27 pm

SAMBA is a Linux Standard Networking Tool
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !

BillF

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:43 pm

Well I downloaded a file called samba-latest.tar.gz and saved it to the pi desktop. There seems to be a lot of versions of samba but could not see it this was correct for my version of Debian (Debian GNU/Linux 7.0 (“wheezy”) )
Please can you let me know how I install it from here - I assume there is a program akin to winzip that I can use to expand it but I havn't stumbled upon it yet.

ghans

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:00 pm

1) The samba clients should be already installed on Raspbian.
2) Random packages downloaded from the net won't work.
They have to be for Raspbian.
3) You downloaded a source package AFAIK . While it is
possible to get this working you need knowledge and lots
of time.

Give me some time , i might have a look into a real
solution for your problem.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

rpdom

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:03 pm

BillF wrote:my version of Debian (Debian GNU/Linux 7.0 (“wheezy”) )
Hmm, where did you get that information from?

You are more likely to be running Raspbian, which, as it is a Raspi specific version of Debian, will say "Debian" in lots of places.

Anyway, that is besides the point. On any Debian-based system you should use apt-get to install pre-built software. None of that messing around with tarballs or source code.

This should get you the software:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install samba
Then you have to configure it. I believe there are some walk-throughs

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_NAS seems to have a fair bit of info on how to set it up.

BillF

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:07 am

Thanks for all the help -I'm getting up the learning curve.
I gave up on the download .tar.gz advice and used the appget command to install Samba.
It did a lot of installing and aked me a few question about did I allow it to use a bit of storage space etc and I answered yes to them all. t seemed to run to its conclusion but I do not see any effect - no icon on the GUI desktop for instance.
If you remember the start of this thread - I was wanting to connect to files I share across my home network- ie movie, music and photos on a network hard drive, so am looking for the equivalent to the "network" tab in the documents window in MS windows or Ubuntu.
I found my version of linux from googling "how do I find my version" and cut and pasted that result into this post. I bought the Pi inclusive of an SD card with this software already on it under the belief that it would get me going a bit faster - I think it has, but would I now be better off starting again?

ghans

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:11 am

OK , try this :

sudo apt-get install gvfs-backends
EDIT : And FYI , the version info you posted is completely correct.
But you should always mention the output of

uname -a
too.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

-rst-

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:51 pm

In addition to installing the Samba (well, it should be already in Raspbian?), you would need to do some configuration I guess...

Maybe this thread would help http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... f=6&t=5520
http://raspberrycompote.blogspot.com/ - Low-level graphics and 'Coding Gold Dust'

BillF

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:22 pm

Ok - I've spent another few hours playing with the rasberry Pi and things are starting to make sense - but I'm not there yet.

I've got samba working, in that I can now see the Rasberry Pi from my other PC's on the network. So I could transfer files to it if I wanted. (I didn't want to put passwords on it as that would just make things a bit more complicated to use than I wanted.

I can now confirm that I am using Rasberry Dabian.

However I still canot see a network icon on the Rasberry GUI desktop - or find anything in the links I've been given that show me how to connect to my network hard drive so would appreciate any more help any kind soul can give me.

Bill

paul42

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:44 pm

In the gui click on file manager. From the GO menu click on Network Drives. In my case I then see my Windows Network which I double click on to explore. Don't click in the left hand pane or you will be back to your local files again.

I can browse my workgroup and enter a password etc to browse my Windows Home Server.

When you get to where you want ln your network create a Bookmark to speed it up next time.

Hope this helps.

itimpi

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:34 pm

BillF Installing Samba is not necessary if you merely want the RPi to be able to connect to devices on your home network to access files. Samba is intended for use when you want to work the other way around (devices on the network accessing files on the RPi).

BillF

Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:29 pm

Its all working fine now - once I found file manager in the accessories folder, then found the network in the go tab it was really easy. Can't believe I didn't figure this out for myself.

Thanks guys for all your help

Bill
www.bills-it.co.uk

ghans

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:51 am

Did you try my suggestion , too ?

ghans

BillF

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:59 am

Yes Ghans, I did try your suggestion and can confirm that I am running Raspbian.

Thanks

Bill

Krella Krentoshi

Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:22 pm

by paul42 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:44 pm

In the gui click on file manager. From the GO menu click on Network Drives. In my case I then see my Windows Network which I double click on to explore. Don't click in the left hand pane or you will be back to your local files again.

Ok.... so I can see the Windows Network, but when I click on it i get an error message that reads "Failed to retreive share list from server" I click ok, and get an error message that says "The specified location is not mounted"

ok, so how do i mount the location?

I am running the latest Raspbian image on my 2B, trying to connect by ethernet cable to my windows vista laptop so I can use the internet to download bluetooth drivers to use my mini bluetooth keyboard. I am so very new to code, linux and the Pi, I am very confused. I don't have a wifi dongle or I would just use that.

Thanks!

Return to “Beginners”