pocster

Viewing SD card

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi all,

New to all this but having fun!
I've made some alterations to my raspie like in config.txt and /etc/network/interfaces etc. etc.
I wish to keep copies of these files on my mac.
When I plug the SD card into my mac I can't see any directory structure at all i.e. no /etc . Tried the xterminal window and even with ls -al nothing.
How can I see the files and therefore copy them?

Sorry for noobness :oops:

p.s. can see root files just no directories as I would expect

sdjf

Re: Viewing SD card

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:41 pm

Mac and Windows cannot read the file system on partition 2, where /etc and all that live.

The solution I use is to copy the files to the /boot partition, which is in vfat format, and then you can view them on another type of system besides linux.

Or you could run a command like the following, for example, and route the output to the boot sector:

ls -l > /boot/ls-l.txt

to copy a file, you could do:

cp -p MYFILE > /boot/MYFILE

If you are not running as root, you would start the above line or lines with the word sudo before the commands.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

pocster

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:20 pm

Thanks for that !
Is there no way to copy the file from the raspberry pi back to the mac via the raspberry ??? - might be simpler :-)))

Cheers

pjc123

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:09 pm

Why don't you use something like Filezilla, or don't you have a network connection? It will allow you to do a graphical drag and drop file transfer between the pi and the mac; no removing of the sd card. I have used it in the past for Windows (I now use Winscp to transfer files between my pi and my Windows computer), but I see there is a Mac version of Filezilla available.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

pocster

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:19 pm

Never heard of FileZilla but will take a look 8-)

Maine_guy

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:30 am

pocster wrote:Thanks for that !
Is there no way to copy the file from the raspberry pi back to the mac via the raspberry ??? - might be simpler :-)))
Can't you SSH to/from your mac?

sdjf

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:09 pm

Maine_guy wrote:
pocster wrote:Thanks for that !
Can't you SSH to/from your mac?
If so, then he would use scp, in case he does not know that.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

pocster

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:42 pm

AH!

Not heard of scp - that sounds promising also!

Thanks for all the help.

Return to “Beginners”