SteTommo

WiFi works from Pi, but can't access Pi from network

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:37 pm

I've successfully setup the edimax wifi dongle on previous versions of Rasbian, however the latest version I used the built in GUI app on the desktop to configure the WiFi.

One this is done I can ping external IPs etc fine, however if I ping the IP of the Pi form another machine on my network I get host unreachable, and I cant get apache or SSH to respond either. However these work fine if I plug the Cat5 in and use the ethernet IP address.

It's like the WiFi has some kind of firewall but not the ethernet.

dpenezic

Re: WiFi works from Pi, but can't access Pi from network

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:23 pm

What exactly is your network setup ?

If you have Access Point with NAT on it, and AP is connected to your local home network you wouldnt be able to connect any devices on AP without telling AP NAT configuration to do "proxying" .

Also be aver that som AP/router/NAT devices have restriction to connect from "wired" to "wireless" devices even if devices are connected to same unit.

Regards,
DUbravko

jfornango

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:53 pm

Also, double check your setup. A bad Default Gateway could cause problems, as well as having ICMP acknowledgement turned off. (yes, it is possible to firewall one network connection and not another)

And don't sweat it, if it turns out to be something insanely simple. First time I build a network from scratch (over 20 Cisco access layer switches connected to a core router), I couldn't get IP to flow at all from the second floor of our building. My counterpart in Washington couldn't see anything wrong with my configs, so they sent him halfway across the country with orders to not come home until it was fixed.

Long story short, once we were in one of the comm closets, looking at the configs from a local view, he notice that my VLANs for the second floor had the default gateway for the first floor! :oops:

Took us five minutes to fix, and we both felt silly for missing it in the first place. :lol:
I'm only wearing black until they find something darker.

jamiesk

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:21 am

Some access points stop wifi to wifi connections. Is this the scenario which is not working? If so then post the AP make/model/software version and we *might* be able to help.
Pi1 (Nov 2012 loft)= 1KW immersion controller for Solar panel
Pi2 (Jan 2013 living room)=Play thing
Pi3 (Feb 2013 mobile)= Play thing with Tandy Ladder board,breakout board,Nokia display
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=28193

stephank

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:26 pm

SteTommo wrote:I've successfully setup the edimax wifi dongle on previous versions of Rasbian, however the latest version I used the built in GUI app on the desktop to configure the WiFi.

One this is done I can ping external IPs etc fine, however if I ping the IP of the Pi form another machine on my network I get host unreachable, and I cant get apache or SSH to respond either. However these work fine if I plug the Cat5 in and use the ethernet IP address.

It's like the WiFi has some kind of firewall but not the ethernet.
Hey, have you managed to resolve this issue? I have exactly the same problem. I can ping and access the network from the Pi, but when trying to do it from another machine on the network it doesn't work.

I have also noticed that it would be fine for a few minutes or so (probably about 10 mins) after I rebooted and then the problem starts. I'm using a Linksys WUSB54GC (connected to a powered hub) and the latest Raspbian.

I really need a stable Wifi connection the Pi :|

efflandt

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:13 am

What all is connected to your powered hub and does the powered hub get warm? When I first powered the Pi, wireless keyboard/mousepad receiver and Linksys USB54GSC on a tiny IOGear 4-port USB hub, which had plenty of power (2.6 A), WiFi would not last very long and when I checked /var/log/syslog, I also notice that the keyboard receiver was repeatedly reconnecting to USB. The tiny hub itself was getting hot, which is why things started cutting out.

Belkin 4-port USB hub with similar 2.6 A power works much better even with more on it (like portable USB hard drive). So the quality of the USB hub can make a difference.

Or with suitable 1 A power to the Pi, it works with my USB54GSC and keyboard/mousepad receiver directly on the Pi without a hub. Although, the USB54GSC seems to use a little more power (voltage slightly lower) than my Sabrent mini-WiFi.

stephank

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:58 am

I only have the Wifi dongle attached to the USB hub. I have my MacBook connected to the Pi through an ethernet cable (on a different subnet) which allows me to gain access to it via the ethernet port to check what's going on when the wifi connection drops, so no keyboard/mouse connected at the moment. So there should be enough power of the wifi dongle.

I can also confirm that the hub is not getting warm.

Today I've also tried to turn Power Management off (sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off), but it hasn't made a difference. I read somewhere that it could be that it is powering off or going to sleep or something....but I don't think so.

stephank

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:47 pm

I have done a lot of testing, reading, googling and hair pulling over the weekend and I finally came to the conclusion that there is no solution for a stable wifi connection on the Pi at the moment. I hope that this is something that can be rectified by software or drivers in the future.

So to sum up:
- I can always successfully ping my router (even google.com) and other devices on the network from the Pi.
- After a reboot I can ping the Pi from other devices, but after a while it seems to disappear from the network (as if it's going into stealth mode hehe). This behaviour seems to be intermittent though. Sometimes it comes back and I can ping the Pi again.
- I have tried with and without a powered USB hub. I have even connected the adapter directly to the Pi (after bridging the poly-fuses). This makes no difference at all. Behaviour still the same.
- I have tried ad-hoc and managed.
- I have even created a cron job to ping my router every minute...made no difference
- Turned off Power Management on the device...no difference

However....one thing that made an improvement (not very practical though) is when I constantly ping my Pi from my MacBook over a few hours it seems to stay connected. When I stop the pinging it would drop its connection again after a few minutes.

I was really hoping to build a robot which I can control through wifi, but now I'm not so sure :(

efflandt

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:51 pm

Have you tried doing rpi-update? That includes newer kernel and firmware that seems to keep my networking and USB from going down randomly. https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update

stephank

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:26 am

efflandt wrote:Have you tried doing rpi-update? That includes newer kernel and firmware that seems to keep my networking and USB from going down randomly. https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update
@efflandt Cheers, I will definately give that a try tonight.

stephank

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:31 am

I've done the rpi-update thing but unfortunately the connection is still not stable. There are two things I have noticed after running rpi-update:
1. when pinging, the latency is much higher. It used to be about 5ms or so, but now it's between 150 and 200ms....huge jump!
2. somehow, after the update, I can see more debug info (probably switched off before by default). So after my connection drops, I can see this message when doing a dmesg:

Code: Select all

ieee80211 phy0: wlan0: No probe response from AP 58:98:35:29:a7:18 after 500ms, disconnecting.

Maine_guy

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:16 am

stephank wrote:I've done the rpi-update thing
rpi-update does not update all the packages only the firmware. The file is a shell script which you can view with

Code: Select all

less `which rpi-update`
(Those marks are back-ticks, not single quotes)
try sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade and try again

mrpi64

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:49 pm

I believe you need specific software. There is some in the PiStore, but I think it uses the GPIO
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

konsnos

Sun May 05, 2013 2:19 pm

I have the same problem. updated firmware and raspbian but still I can't seem to ping local devices to or from raspi.

Return to “Beginners”