techforay

monitor issues

Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:02 am

I just got a rpi and the first issue I need to resolve is that my monitor does not have hdmi. Can I use an hdmi to dvi adapter or are there better low cost solutions?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: monitor issues

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:26 am

Not adapter, but simply a different cable will do it! (or do you mean a simple connector adapter?, an active converter isn't needed!)
HDMI and DVI-D are very much the same, although they use different connectors. Only HDMI also supports sound, and DVI-D does not.

do make sure your monitor has DVI-D, not just DVI-A.

you might want to read http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt. in case you want the PI to force HDMI mode, if your monitor isn't recognized, also see the troubleshooting section in the wiki.

techforay

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:46 am

Thank you for your help. I was wondering if the connector adapted would work or if it required conversion. I think you are saying no conversion required. I will check to make sure the monitor is dvi-d. Thanks for the configuration info also. I am a real novice but am golng to have some fun learning.

shifty1966

Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:47 am

I got a HDMI to DVI cable pretty cheap on Amazon. You'd probably get one in Maplins too, if you've got one near you.

Jim JKla

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:30 am

This is one of those situaations where it's worth having your location in your profile as you can see shifty1966 is in Darbyshire (UK) but because we do not know the location of tecfiray any advice may need to be optimised. Maplins is primarily a UK phenomenon. Although you can mail order.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

techforay

Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:39 pm

I just updated my profile with a location. Thanks for the suggestion Jim.

Return to “Beginners”