Rbailey3

Setting up a pi with a chromebook

Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:52 pm

I am very new to the Raspberry Pi and haven't set mine up yet. My every day computer is a Chromebook. Is it capable of being used to set up my Pi?

jbudd

Re: Setting up a pi with a chromebook

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:01 am

I have never tried it since I don't have a chromebook. However: https://willhaley.com/blog/setup-raspbe ... hromebook/

HawaiianPi

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:38 am

You can use the Chromebook Recovery Utility to write Raspbian images (instead of Etcher), and there is an SSH extension, as well as a few terminal options for Chrome OS, and even a RealVNC Viewer for Google Chrome.

So yes, you can use a Chromebook to configure and work with a Raspberry Pi computer.

Which model Pi do you have?

EDIT:
Just took a quick look at the link posted above, and found one problem. The wpa_supplicant.conf file needs one additional line with the newer version of Raspbian (Buster).

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=GB

network={
	ssid="WiFi SSID"
	psk="WPA/WPA2 passphrase"
}
Edit country=, ssid= and psk= with your information and save the file. Use a the 2 letter country abbreviation in CAPS.

The "country=" line is what was missing in that guide. It was not needed in earlier versions of Raspbian, but changes in regulations now require it. Other than that, the info in that link seems fine. If you need additional help or advice, just ask (I do have a Chromebook).

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

EDIT2:
One additional thing I thought of, which is not in that guide, is that your Chromebook should be able to resolve hostnames, so you can SSH into pi@raspberrypi (or pi@raspberrypi.local) for your initial connection (you don't need the IP address).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Rbailey3

Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:53 am

Thanks for the help. Very much appreciated

Return to “Beginners”