LochoGame

Please, I need some ideas

Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:59 am

Hi everyone, I have an idea for a gift for my girlfriend, it's like a little box with a screen an a raspberry pi underneath and I can send messages (via my phone) to her and she can see it on the box. Do you have any ideas to how I can program the raspberry so I can make it?, thanks you so much!.

(PD: I'm sorry if I had some spelling mistakes, English is not my native language. And in the future I would have one, so she can sent me messages)

neilgl

Re: Please, I need some ideas

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:59 am

Get the pi to subscribe (listen to) to an mqtt topic on an mqtt server. Then use mqtt on your phone to publish a message to that topic. The pi can then display that message on the screen.

deepo

Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:36 pm

Another option is to make a small web server using python, which can accept a text message, and then display that message on the screen.

Something similar to "Read data from a form" from this page:
https://www.acmesystems.it/python_http

/Mogens

hippy

Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:26 pm

Another option may be a 'throwaway email address' so you can email from anywhere using pretty much anything, leaving the Pi to check the email account, download, and display messages.

It should be possible to filter out spam. Even just filtering out messages which don't start with "Darling, love of my life" should do it. And you'll probably earn extra bonus points with your girlfriend when you tell her you are having to write that for every message you send :D

LochoGame

Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:12 am

neilgl wrote:
Get the pi to subscribe (listen to) to an mqtt topic on an mqtt server. Then use mqtt on your phone to publish a message to that topic. The pi can then display that message on the screen.
But it works if my girlfriend it's like in another city?, it can communicate without have the same internet?

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:25 am

LochoGame wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:12 am
neilgl wrote:
But it works if my girlfriend it's like in another city?, it can communicate without have the same internet?
"The internet" is global. You're just on different subnets. There are several ways to get around not having publicly routable addresses, not the least of which is the use of IPv6.

protosam

Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:27 am

I'm not sure if this is as possible with a Raspberry Pi as with a microcontroller (like an Arduino), but persistence of vision (POV) displays are kindof interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVoKobgGwBk

neilgl

Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:43 am

But it works if my girlfriend it's like in another city?
Yes, connect the pi to her local WiFi and internet. The mqtt server is out there on the internet. The pi is “listening” to messages from it. You send a message from your phone over the internet to the mqtt server. It delivers it to her.

Return to “Beginners”