Alan278

All my attempts to install printer fail

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:01 pm

I'm a Complete Newb, my apologies. I'm using the current Raspbian OS on a new Pi 4. I've sudo updated everything.

My Internet through Wifi works, I can stream 1080p video.
My USB-connected SSD drive works as expected.
2.4 GHz wireless keyboards work (kind of - sometimes they crash, but my wired Apple keyboard has given no trouble.
But I have been trying for a week to connect my printer wirelessly and cannot succeed.

I installed HPLIP without issue, my printer definition was there. I have the HP printer icon visible on the top of the GUI screen, showing 1 document queued, "Status - processing" When I view attributes in its drop down menu, the job status message is "The printer is not responding."

I tried CUPS installation, and got as far as: Add Printer Hewlett-Packard LaserJet Pro MFP M125nw Error: "Unable to use PDD file"

I tried installation through the terminal without success. When I accessed Help, Printing troubleshooter, I got: "Check Server Firewall. It is not possible to connect to the server. Please check to see if a firewall or router configuration is blocking TCP port 631 on server 'DEVAE7207.local'

Any suggestions for next steps? The printer connects effortlessly to the Mac and Windows machines in the house.

Thanks in advance!

Alan

fruitoftheloom

Re: All my attempts to install printer fail

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:09 pm

Alan278 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:01 pm
I'm a Complete Newb, my apologies. I'm using the current Raspbian OS on a new Pi 4. I've sudo updated everything.

My Internet through Wifi works, I can stream 1080p video.
My USB-connected SSD drive works as expected.
2.4 GHz wireless keyboards work (kind of - sometimes they crash, but my wired Apple keyboard has given no trouble.
But I have been trying for a week to connect my printer wirelessly and cannot succeed.

I installed HPLIP without issue, my printer definition was there. I have the HP printer icon visible on the top of the GUI screen, showing 1 document queued, "Status - processing" When I view attributes in its drop down menu, the job status message is "The printer is not responding."

I tried CUPS installation, and got as far as: Add Printer Hewlett-Packard LaserJet Pro MFP M125nw Error: "Unable to use PDD file"

I tried installation through the terminal without success. When I accessed Help, Printing troubleshooter, I got: "Check Server Firewall. It is not possible to connect to the server. Please check to see if a firewall or router configuration is blocking TCP port 631 on server 'DEVAE7207.local'

Any suggestions for next steps? The printer connects effortlessly to the Mac and Windows machines in the house.

Thanks in advance!

Alan

Did you install hplip from the Raspbian Buster Repositories ?

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt install cups hplip system-config-printer

Also the printer needs to be on same network !

If all else fails you could maybe try Google Cloud Print ?

https://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn/
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

Alan278

Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:11 am

Thanks for your response. When I tried your suggested commands, the terminal responded by saying that everything installed is the most current version.

I presume is that my Pi 4 is connected to the local network since both installed browsers are functioning properly. I KNOW my printer is on the network since I can successfully print to it from both Windows and Mac computers here.

The nature of the error messages seems to suggest that my password is needed, or that I am not trusted somehow by either the printer or the Pi, or both. But I have never encountered this sort of obstacle before, so I am not clear how to proceed.

Can you suggest how I can be sure that my Pi has the correct credentials to fully communicate within the local network?

Any further help is appreciated!

Alan

Alan278

Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:57 pm

Update:

I have tried installing hplip and cups as per suggestions and after reading about this topic in "troubleshooting".

After several attempts, the correct printer now shows up in the printing setup menu, I can see print preview pages displayed correctly from within LibreOffice, the print job seems to have been sent to the printer successfully, the Wifi connection is functioning normally, but still i get "the printer is not responding".

Yet this same printer is in daily use with my other computers on the same network with no issues.

I have attached a pic of the feedback I have gotten through the Raspbian GUI printer setup window.

I am guessing there is some security / password-related issue ... can anyone help me figure out what it could be and - even better - how I might go about trying to resolve it?

Thanks in advance for any ideas...
Pi-printer no response.jpg
Pi-printer no response.jpg (52.09 KiB) Viewed 115 times

Return to “Beginners”