mojeeza

Headless install on RPi 3B from Windows 10

Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:25 am

I've tried to follow several posts that show installation of Raspbian Lite onto RPi 3B without success.

Downloaded: BalenaEtcher, SDFormatter, Win32DiskImager, Putty, Raspian Lite (2018-03-13-raspbian-stretch-lite.zip), and the full version (2019-09-25-rpd-x86-buster.iso).
I have SanDisk64Gb MicroSD Card.

I manage to create a bootable SD card ONLY with the Lite Debian - when I connect a monitor to the RPi3 - it does boot up and waits for the login.

But I can't find the Pi on the wireless network.

I added an empty ssh file (without extension) in the root directory - no help. HOWEVER - when I look at the contents of the sd card on windows after failing to connect to RPi the ssh file is gone/missing.

what else am I missing?
It seems the problem might be with the new Raspbian distros - as I had all this working before using Jessie.

Thanks for your help.

dustnbone

Re: Headless install on RPi 3B from Windows 10

Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:56 am

Did you configure the wifi network on the card?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... eadless.md

The ssh file just sets a flag telling the OS to configure/enable the SSH server. Once that is done the file is automaticaly deleted. No need to add it again, the configuaration changes are persistent.

mojeeza

Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:42 am

@dustnbone - Perfect...worked after adding the wpa_supplicant.conf file.

Thanks a million.

neilgl

Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:52 am

Ah, and that file "2019-09-25-rpd-x86-buster.iso" is "Debian with Raspberry Pi Desktop - the Foundation’s operating system for PC and Mac". So it does not run on a pi but is intended to run on an x86 PC (e.g. repurposed desktop PC or laptop). The full pi version is from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
Raspbian Buster with desktop
OR
Raspbian Buster with desktop and recommended software (bigger download)

Return to “Beginners”