englischdude

Access Point & Pihole on the same unit

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:08 pm

Hi,

the router I received from my ISP is pretty big and ugly. I would like to hide the roouter in a cabinet and hand the WLAN AP function over to my raspberry pi which is running PIHOLE very successfully. Is it possible to have both (AP and PIHOLE) running on one Pi? An important point is that I am forced to use the DHCP server function provided by Pihole, because my router from the ISP does not allow me to define a DNS address and I dont want to program all clients individually.

I have searched around on the forums and the question has been asked a couple of times, however noone seems to be able to confirm or deny if this is possible and I certainly cant find a tutorial for making such a setup.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your feedback
Martin

englischdude

Re: Access Point & Pihole on the same unit

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:11 pm

Sorry for the push, but if possible i would really like to make such a setup work. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

wolf.z

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:28 pm

Well, Pihole basically is a DNS Server, able to act as a DHCP server as well. Everything else needed is an ethernet-WLAN bridge. I am pretty sure, even a Pi2 will do the job.
On the downside a Pi typically will not achieve datarates of modern wlan routers with MIMO and beamforming. I am afraid, your router is bulky and ugly as a result of antenna diversity....however.
A Pi will do all the jobs you request.

englischdude

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:48 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Any chance of a guide for getting both running on the pi using the pi dhcp server? Any particular order in which the two systems should be installed?

wolf.z

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:55 pm

I haven't done this yet but there can't be too much of a problem. Choose the red pill described in this guide: https://blog.cryptoaustralia.org.au/ins ... p-pi-hole/
For making the Pi act as an access point, follow this doc: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... et-sharing do not install dsnmasq since pihole already comes with it.
I suggest to first try the bridged solution at the end of the article. In that case eth0 and WLAN0 will be a new bridge device and dnsmasq or pihole respectively must be bound to this bridge interface.
In case something goes terribly wrong try the router solution. in that case you have to let DNSmasq manage both physical interfaces rather than one bridge.

englischdude

Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:01 pm

I have spent many hours this weekend trying to get this set up. Setting up a bridge on the pi is not problem, setting up pihole is no problem, but installing them both on the same pi and getting them to work using the dhcp server of pihole has proven to be a huge challenge. Until now, unsuccessful. I will just leave the pihole running and wait untill i can get a good step by step guide on getting this setup with AP working. Thanks for you help.

Return to “Beginners”