solidsnake

Multiple hard drives keep disconnecting [solved]

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:25 am

Hi,

I have connected 3 hard drives (not externally powered) to the pi. But they periodically disconnect without any error. It's usually works fine when I restart the pi but only for 5 mins. Is this a power output problem? How can I supply more power to the pi? Or can I supply more power to the hard drives if they are not externally powered?

Thanks

default_user8

Re: Multiple hard drives keep disconnecting

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:27 am

Are you using a usb hub?
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

solidsnake

Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:06 am

No, I'm not. All hard disks are plugged into the pi directly

default_user8

Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:24 am

I'm surprised your pi is booting with all those drives plugged in directly. Try using a usb hub and see if your problem persist.

P.S. I see you asked this same question on your other thread about your plex server, you should refrain from redirecting threads to help get your questions answered in a timely fashion and to help others when they search for answers to similar questions they may have.
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

RossDv8

Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:57 am

I got around a similar problem by using splitter cables, which have 2 x male and 1 x female USB ends. One male has a red band (power), and is plugged into something with USB power, like a 2A phone charger. The other male end (data) is plugged into either a non-powered USB hub, or a Pi USB socket. Then the external drive is plugged into the female socket.

That should relieve some of the power drain on the Pi, although my cable sometimes seem to leak a little power back into the Pi USB socket..
Anyway, I use that to spin up a 3TB drive that otherwise just sits and clicks when plugged directly into the Pi USB3 socket. The splitter cables are only a few dollars each on ebay or Amazon (might be why mine feeds some power back...) But I've been doing it on the Pi 3, 3B+ and 4, with nothing blowing up yet..

It might be a GOOD IDEA to 'Eject' any external drives before you shutdown or reboot - probably doesn't matter about shutdown, but especially before you reboot.
I found that leaving an external drive mounted on reboot sometimes stops reboot from happening,
Remember, nobody is listening to you
until you fart ...

thagrol

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:16 pm

solidsnake wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:25 am
Hi,

I have connected 3 hard drives (not externally powered) to the pi. But they periodically disconnect without any error. It's usually works fine when I restart the pi but only for 5 mins. Is this a power output problem? How can I supply more power to the pi? Or can I supply more power to the hard drives if they are not externally powered?

Thanks
Certainly sounds like a power problem. Which model Pi and what are you uing for a PSU?

Try using a self powered UBS hub and including "nofail" in your mount options. "nofail" means your system will continue to boot even if the mount fails.

A USB hub without its own power supply won't help and may make things worse due the, admittedly small, additional power drain.
Attempts to contact me outside of thes forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

solidsnake

Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:22 pm

Thanks everyone. I've ordered a powered USB hub which I'll try tomorrow and let you know if the problem still persists.

@thagrol - I have pi 4 and use a 5A power supply

thagrol

Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:51 pm

solidsnake wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:22 pm
Thanks everyone. I've ordered a powered USB hub which I'll try tomorrow and let you know if the problem still persists.

@thagrol - I have pi 4 and use a 5A power supply
5 amp is way over the recommended amount :) but...

Even if the PSU is capable of providing 5 amps, the 4B can only provide 1.2 amps across all connected USB devices. Anything the PSU can provide above 1.2A + what the 4B needs won't be drawn.

Current required to initially spin up multiple HDD can easily exceed the 1.2A limit.
Attempts to contact me outside of thes forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

solidsnake

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:36 am

Update - the problem was resolved after I used a powered USB hub and changed the cables. Don't know whether it was the cables of the power but I'm not too bothered as it's working perfectly now

Return to “Beginners”