ZacharyI123

Raspbarry Pi Model B Rev 1 or 2

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:18 pm

How do you find out if you have a rev 1 or 2 board? Is it worth upgrading?
Don't be mean, I'm only thirteen 8-)

daveg

Re: Raspbarry Pi Model B Rev 1 or 2

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:01 pm

the rev 2 boards have 2 mounting holes drilled through the board. The rev 1 boards dont have any mounting holes.
Thats the basic visual check you can perform to check which version you have

Wheel_nut

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:17 pm

All Rev 2 Boards have two mounting holes. The Rev 1 Boards don't.

There are two versions of the Rev 2 Boards 256MB and the newer 512MB Memory size.

The Rev 1 Boards had a few modifications made during their production history:

1) The two Polyfuses, each powering one USB Port were replaced with Zreo Ohm SMD Resistors to allow more than 100mA to be drawn per port. It also facilitates powering the Board by Back-feeding power to a USB Port.

2) There was a design flaw on the PCB which linked the on-chip generated voltages on the SOC and the LAN Chip. It "may" cause contention between the regulators on the two chips resulting in higher than optimal dissipation. This was corrected on the Rev 2 Boards so it could be said that the Rev 2 boards may consume marginally less power than a Rev 1.

3) Now, the Jury is still out on this but I believe that some of the Rev 2 Boards (possibly those made in China) display an abnormally high resistance of the F3 Polyfuse. This causes an excessive volt drop if the RPi is powered from the MicroUSB Port but is irrelevant if ti is powered by backfeeding the USB Port.

ZacharyI123

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:11 pm

I appear to have rev 1. I use my pi mainly for programming in c and python and a little word processing and internet browsing. Is it worth upgrading? Where is the cheapest rev 2? Can I order from amazon uk? If so, upload a link? Is there anyway to recycle or sell my old pi or is there a cheaper upgrading scheme?
Don't be mean, I'm only thirteen 8-)

Wheel_nut

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:53 pm

I don't think that you would see any difference in peformance or function by replacing it with a Rev 2 Board.

Make sure that you are using the 28 October 2012 release of Raspbian Wheezy and the Task Manager will tell you your Memory usage. I doubt that it will bemuch ove 50% if that.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:31 pm

As Wheel_nut says - there is no performance difference. The only difference you might see is the latest boards have 512MB RAM, which may or may not make any difference to you.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

jdieter

Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:54 am

I see some tiny little holes, that look like they might be mounting holes, next to c5 and s2 on the card side of the raspberry logo. I have no idea if these tiny holes are the mounting holes you speek of. THERE MUST BE SOME WAY TO TELL WHAT REV OF BOARD I HAVE!!!!

rpdom

Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:57 am

jdieter wrote:I see some tiny little holes, that look like they might be mounting holes, next to c5 and s2 on the card side of the raspberry logo. I have no idea if these tiny holes are the mounting holes you speek of. THERE MUST BE SOME WAY TO TELL WHAT REV OF BOARD I HAVE!!!!
The "mounting" holes are big. About 3 mm across and have large copper circles (about the same size as C6) around them. One is just below the raspberry logo on the top of the board. The other is between the USB sockets and the LEDs. Rev 1 board has F1 and F2 fitted between the USB and LEDS instead.

Also, if you go to command line/terminal and type

Code: Select all

grep Rev /proc/cpuinfo
You will get back a line like:

Code: Select all

Revision	: 000x
Rev 1 boards have 0002 or 0003. Rev 2 model B and model A boards will have different numbers.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:24 am

FWIW, as a quick visual check (given that all four boards are cased) my the header page for my "Raspberry Pi notes section" (http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... spiidx.htm) show 3 Pi models:
raspiblack: "B1 256 Mb" topside, raspiblue: "B2 512 Mb" topside, raspired: "B2 512 Mb" underside with repaired SD card holder and "raspigrey" "A 256 Mb" topside. (many other pictures of all four can be found within the subpages).
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Return to “Beginners”