Tim Yates

SSH not working on Pi Zero

Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:32 pm

Hi folks,

This is my first post here and realise that I may be duplicating this currently active thread, but I think my problem is different and don't want to hijack.

I'm failing to ssh into my brand new Pi Zero. I've followed all the basic instructions. Several times and from several sources so I think it's unlikely that's the problem.

When I connect the Pi it creates the RNDIS Gadget as expected and I get an ethernet port assigned.
Bonjour is running.
ssh is enabled on the pi.

I get a host not recognised error using rapsberrypi.local from PuTTY.

I get the following output from ipconfig after connecting the Pi to USB:

Code: Select all

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 10:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f479:facd:bf3d:11d9%28
   Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.17.217
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

I can ping this IP, but I get a connection refused error when I try to ssh into it from PuTTY.

Tearing my hair out with this since the internet keeps telling me it should be very easy ;)

Windows 10
Raspberry Pi Zero: Raspbian Buster Full

B.Goode

Re: SSH not working on Pi Zero

Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:42 am

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.

I get a host not recognised error using rapsberrypi.local from PuTTY.

Is raspberrypi.local any better?

In my limited experience, setting up Ethernet gadget mode on an RPi Zero is trivial and reliable.

Subsequently making use of that connection from the Operating System on some other hardware platform can be far more confusing and frustrating.

On a Windows system using the Internet Connection Sharing utility can help with IP address configuration and subsequent routing.

Tim Yates

Re: SSH not working on Pi Zero

Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:22 pm

Hi B.Goode

Many apologeis for the delay in replying - thanks for your advice. After very much faffing about, I ended up having to reinstall Windows on my ancient machine and now it works just fine ...

T

Return to “Beginners”