scythimus

Universal Basic Programs for Image

Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:23 pm

Hi,

So I was thinking about how long it takes to load Rasbian alone vs an image file with everything on it. I'd like to have a 'universal' image that I put on every RPi I get, just to know that some of the basics are on it. Since I'm new, I don't know what they are.

Which things would you install onto every RPi, just in case you need it and keeping in mind the space req's. :D

Thanks
Josh

PS: I'm mostly using Model 3 B+, and that might be useful to the gurus out there.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Universal Basic Programs for Image

Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:47 pm

scythimus wrote:
Hi,

So I was thinking about how long it takes to load Rasbian alone vs an image file with everything on it. I'd like to have a 'universal' image that I put on every RPi I get, just to know that some of the basics are on it. Since I'm new, I don't know what they are.

Which things would you install onto every RPi, just in case you need it and keeping in mind the space req's. :D

Thanks
Josh

PS: I'm mostly using Model 3 B+, and that might be useful to the gurus out there.

The RPF offer 3 versions of Raspbian, including release notes:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
Retired disgracefully.....

B.Goode

Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:39 pm

I'd like to have a 'universal' image that I put on every RPi I get, just to know that some of the basics are on it. Since I'm new, I don't know what they are.

Why not wait until you are not new any more, then you will know what is needed for your own requirements, which may differ from those of other users.

In the meantime, considering how often (ie. rarely) it has to be done, is the time taken to download and install the Raspberry Pi 'full' image really significant to you?

W. H. Heydt

Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:01 pm

scythimus wrote:
Hi,

Thanks
Josh

My standard list of things to add to a new Pi is:
putty
units
mplayer
dclock
fortune
gparted
xscreensaver

Optional additions:
gimp
mariaDB
tuxpaint
tuxmath

Your mileage will--undoubtedly--vary.

deepo

Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:13 pm

This article mentions Yocto as a way to tailor Linux contents for your RPi.
https://hackaday.com/2019/08/13/simple- ... a-pi-zero/

/Mogens

Return to “Beginners”