Ecofg

power on raspberry pi 4 when it gets power

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:50 pm

I am working on a NAS raspberry pi 4 server, but one of the biggest issues is power loss. Can I make so that when the power goes back online the raspberry pi also turns on?
I thought about a UPS, but there arent any UPS's for raspberry pi 4 on aliexpress as far as I've seen.

pcmanbob

Re: power on raspberry pi 4 when it gets power

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:59 pm

As far as I am aware if you remove the power from a pi and there is no SD card corruption , when power is reapplied the pi will boot all on it own.

If you are building a pi based NAS I assume you will be using HD's of some sort for storage, you will need to protect them from power failure as well as the pi.

why not just get a standard stand alone UPS and power the pi and any HD's from that.

Something like this for example https://www.amazon.co.uk/APC-Back-UPS-B ... 064&sr=8-3
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

alphanumeric

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:01 pm

All my Raspberry Pi's boot up as soon as I plug in the power supply? If the power goes off, and then comes back on, they just boot up again. If your SD card gets corrupted when the power fails they won't recover, is that what your wondering about?

klricks

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:10 pm

Ecofg wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:50 pm
I am working on a NAS raspberry pi 4 server, but one of the biggest issues is power loss. Can I make so that when the power goes back online the raspberry pi also turns on?
I thought about a UPS, but there arent any UPS's for raspberry pi 4 on aliexpress as far as I've seen.
The RPi should restart if the power outage is long..... 3 or 4+ seconds, but may not restart reliably if the outage is short.
I would look into getting an AC mains UPS and run the NAS and RPi on that.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

LTolledo

Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:26 am

For your setup I also recommend getting a standard PC UPS....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Return to “Beginners”