superpowter77

Need some help using a compatible webcam running Raspbian on Rpi 4

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:44 pm

I just got my cool microscope from Celestron, In Essence this is just a glorified usb webcam with good optics and a large sensor. Current Raspbian Buster detects it right away. However, I want to be able to use any Linux Webcam software so I can do some micro-soldering using my 65 inch OLED Sony TV at 1080p. Product works great on windows and mac. I am trying to get some insight here. Already checked the Raspberry Documentation for webcams. I need a GUI interface so I can work on my PCB soldering on real time(live), not just taking pictures or recording a video. I read about people who has done it with full linux distros without a sweat. Any thoughts? Does anybody has used a webcam on Raspbian buster for such purpose before? Does anybody knows if Cheese linux software works on raspbian?

superpowter77

Re: Need some help using a compatible webcam running Raspbian on Rpi 4

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:31 am

Wow, manual calibration is a pain using fswebcam. I got it working already for Still images at 1920x1080. I have to manually set brightness too. Also, Have to figure out some other settings as Focal Length, Shutter Speed, Aperture and ISO. Will install it on my MacOS to steal its configuration settings and then use it on Raspbian. Wish me luck.

PhatFil

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:49 am

Good Luck.. especially with the hand eye coordination with a large offset view.. Its a knack some find easier than others..

superpowter77

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:03 am

Solved. GUVCView did the trick without having to do anything, right out of the box for latest Raspbian OS. Amazing. I was going almost nuts trying to get my Celestron microscope to work with Fswebcam using my custom settings. GUVCView has a GUI interface with a live view mode that allows me to capture still images or record video at 1080p. Just had to adjust my OLED TV frequency to 60Hz and was good to go. Throws one error multiple times on linux console but image looks perfect, just have to ignore it. It's more than Enough for me at this moment. Now time to do some experiments with libgphoto2 to make work my Lumix DC-GX850 DSLR and Canon rebel T4i DSLR cameras which currently supports (Image Capture, Trigger Capture, Liveview, Configuration) to function as webcams on Raspian Buster.

Return to “Beginners”