Earthing

Complete beginner - Garage Door Dedection

Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:32 am

Hi Guy's,

I'm a Solution Architect @ Microsoft so I have a lot if IT knowledge. I do basic programming, but that's it. I now want to start with my very first Raspberry Pi program (haven't bought one yet :D). I Was hoping I could get some tips!

The problem? I Leave my garage door open all the time. I Can open/close it remotely, but I don't have the sensors to check if it's open or closed.
My idea? Get a Raspberry Pi with a camera that can dedect (AI/Neural Network) if the port is closed or open. I doesn't need to close automatically - it just needs to sent me an e-mail or something like that.

I Was thinking about getting a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with a camera module. Will this be enough or do I need something else?
Does anybody have experience with image detection? What program language do I use? I Dont want to place/hang special markers on my garage door for the program to detect, I really want to 'learn' the network how an open door looks like.

Thank you very much!
Earthing

pcmanbob

Re: Complete beginner - Garage Door Dedection

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:06 pm

Hi.

You could also do this using 2 magnetic switches one reporting closed and one reporting open, you could then have your pi send an email upon opening and upon closing of the door.

You could do this using the pi gpio and python.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

drgeoff

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:27 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:06 pm
Hi.

You could also do this using 2 magnetic switches one reporting closed and one reporting open, you could then have your pi send an email upon opening and upon closing of the door.

You could do this using the pi gpio and python.
Such switches are commonly used in alarm systems. eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5X-Magnetic- ... 3201624859

cmrincon

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:34 pm

Hi!
I think that the use of image detection is a waste of time and effort. I'm sure that you will get better solutions from people in this forum.

You can use whatever language you already know, but i encurage you to use python because python has all the tools you need to develop T the project quickly:

With this library you can send emails:
https://docs.python.org/3/library/smtplib.html

With this library you can control the gpio port:
https://pypi.org/project/RPi.GPIO/

neilgl

Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:25 pm

Or just one micro switch on the garage door.

lpsw

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:31 pm

IMO, a 3B+ is overkill, if it's only task is to monitor the garage door.
A Pi0WH (with headers installed, so no soldering) will suffice. I monitor my entry doors with Pi0Ws + Pi Cameras + Pikrellcam. Works great.
Your use case will probably use much less CPU and memory than mine.
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is - Isaac Asimov

drgeoff

Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:53 pm

lpsw wrote:
A Pi0WH (with headers installed, so no soldering) will suffice. I monitor my entry doors with Pi0Ws + Pi Cameras + Pikrellcam. Works great.
True, but bloat and and feature creep have become second nature to the OP's thinking. :)

LTolledo

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:31 pm

is your garage door a "motorized roll-up door"

if so there is already a limit switch installed to check if door is fully closed or fully open.
or as neilgl suggested install micro-switch for your interface to your monitoring system, but I do recommend full-sized lever roller-cam limit switches as those are more robust.

or to augment your camera-type requirement, why not add a linear magnetic tape sensor or rotary encoder to give you the actual position of the door opening...
and some proximity sensors/ area sensors to prevent the door from closing if there is something within 500 mm both sides below the door.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Earthing

Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:45 am

Hi Guy's!

Thank you for all input. I Want to do this with image recognition because I don't want extra cables to my garage port for the sensors.
if so there is already a limit switch installed to check if door is fully closed or fully open.
or as neilgl suggested install micro-switch for your interface to your monitoring system, but I do recommend full-sized lever roller-cam limit switches as those are more robust.
Is this 'limit switch' in the motor or where do I find this?
lpsw wrote:
Are you doing this with sensors?

Thank you!

pcmanbob

Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:31 am

Earthing wrote:

Is this 'limit switch' in the motor or where do I find this?

I would not try using the existing limit switch as you have no idea what voltages may be present on it, it could even be mains AC voltage.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

lpsw

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:01 pm

Earthing wrote:
lpsw wrote:
Are you doing this with sensors?

Thank you!
No, I'm using the motion detection feature built into Pikrellcam. Upon motion detection, the "watcher" Pis send an SMS (text with a picture attached) to my cell, and send a message to another Pi that plays an audio file (depending which "watcher") to a BT speaker.
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is - Isaac Asimov

boyoh

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:29 pm

Sitting in your office .then you receive a e-mail
Saying your garage door is open. Can you close
The door from your office, IF not what is the
Point of your project , More thought is to go
Into this project.
Regards BoyOh
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

rpdom

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:43 pm

boyoh wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:29 pm
Sitting in your office .then you receive a e-mail
Saying your garage door is open. Can you close
The door from your office, IF not what is the
Point of your project , More thought is to go
Into this project.
Regards BoyOh
That is close to a project I had been working one (but then other things overtook it). I have some switches in place and some code to either send me an SMS or an email if the garage door is opened or closed and I had most of the hardware in place to be able to respond to that and close the door remotely if needed.

However, before closing the door I would want to find out why it opened unexpectedly, perhaps with a video feed so I can see if someone has tried to break in.

Return to “Beginners”