Kreppellkaus

Raspberry with NOOBS always boots to installation screen

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:42 pm

Hey berryfolks,

i am fairly new with using Raspberry and i have a problem using the noobs installer.

I installed Raspbian via NOOBS(preinstalled on SD-card) and when i reboot this machine it always boots to the noob installer instead of the already installed OS (Raspbian)

When i use the small X at the top right of the installer screen it is booting into Raspbian without problems.

The pi is sitting at a remote location managing local printers with CUPS.

Can you please give advice how to avoid this so the Pi directly boots my installed OS?

Thanks in advance
Alex

BogoMax

Re: Raspberry with NOOBS always boots to installation screen

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:00 pm

Hi krepellkaus

You don't reference your hardware in your post or the way it is set up.

A forum search shows this (old) post:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... s#p1475653

The thread suggests a number of possible reasons as to why the Pi constantly boots into recovery mode.

A PSU problem seems to be the solution.

HTH
Did I mention that I love my Raspberry Pi(s) :D. Amazing power from a tiny device.

Kreppellkaus

Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:50 am

Hello Again,

im sorry for incomplete HW information. It's a brand new Pie 3 Modell B.

The hardware is absolutely fine. We checked all parts and swapped PSU already as i found some posts too refering to PSU problems when this happens.
No difference.

It seems to me i missed something on installation of Raspbian. I found some posts where it says i can create a file named autoboot.txt which points to the partition to boot from instead of the recovery partition.

But i cannot identify the right partition to create the file there.

procount

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:23 am

If you install NOOBS, then the expected behaviour is for it display a splash screen at startup asking you to "press shift for recovery."
If you have only installed one additional OS (e.g. Raspbian), then after a short delay it should boot straight into Raspbian.
If you have installed multiple OSes, then it will enter the NOOBS boot menu instead to offer a list of OSes for you to choose which one to boot.
It may also go directly to the NOOBS recovery menu if, for example, you have a HAT attached which is altering the default state of some GPIO pins, you press the Shift key, or the mouse button, or added "forcetrigger" to recovery.cmdline. There may be other reasons detailed in the NOOBS documentation, or referenced from the linked post above.

The "autoboot.txt" file is a firmware feature and can be used to bypass NOOBS altogether.
It should be placed on the first partition of the disk, where NOOBS is installed. This is normally /dev/mmcblk0p1 with the label of "RECOVERY".

autoboot.txt just requires one line:

Code: Select all

boot_partition=[partition]
Where [partition] should be replaced with the partition number of the boot partition of the required OS.
In the case where you have installed Raspbian only, then this should be 6:

boot_partition=6
However, once you have set this file, Raspbian will always boot and NOOBS will no longer be available. If you ever need to go back to NOOBS, you must remove this file. This is easily done by moving your SD card to Windows and editing it there (Do not accept any windows advice to reformat any drives because they are not accessible). You can also do it from Raspbian, but it requires mounting /dev/mmcblk0p1 on a mount point.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Kreppellkaus

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:37 am

Alright, thanks for this fast reply.

i will go the autoboot route as i have not altered any other options or used pins for extensions on the board itself.

as you mentioned i will mount and create the file from raspian so i have to find a way to mount the needed partition from there.

i will post results when im done. thanks
Last edited by Kreppellkaus on Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

procount

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:43 am

mkdir -p /tmp/noobs
sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /tmp/noobs
cd /tmp/noobs
nano autoboot.txt
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Kreppellkaus

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:48 am

Ok i think it's done

root@PIPRINT:~# mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/
root@PIPRINT:~# cd /mnt
root@PIPRINT:/mnt# touch autoboot.txt
root@PIPRINT:/mnt# ls
autoboot.txt		    INSTRUCTIONS-README.txt
 bcm2708-rpi-0-w.dtb	    os
 bcm2708-rpi-b.dtb	    overlays
 bcm2708-rpi-b-plus.dtb     recovery7.img
 bcm2708-rpi-cm.dtb	    recovery.cmdline
 bcm2709-rpi-2-b.dtb	    recovery.elf
 bcm2710-rpi-3-b.dtb	    RECOVERY_FILES_DO_NOT_EDIT
 bcm2710-rpi-3-b-plus.dtb   recovery.img
 bcm2710-rpi-cm3.dtb	    recovery.rfs
 bootcode.bin		    riscos-boot.bin
 BUILD-DATA		   'System Volume Information'
 defaults
root@PIPRINT:/mnt# nano autoboot.txt
file looks like this

boot_partition=6
lets do the reboot now :)

Kreppellkaus

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:06 am

Perfect.

It works as expected. thank you for your help guys.

I hope i will not need NOOBS any time soon as this little box shall only sit there next to an old plotter and play his role quiet and steady.
If we ever need to reboot into NOOBs, i have documented your advice.

I wish all of you a nice weekend.

Greetz
Alex

Return to “Beginners”