omnia6890

Clone 16 GB SD Card to 8 GB

Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:25 pm

I have a Raspbian os on my 16gb micro sd and only 5 gb of it is occupied. How can I clone it to the 8 gb sd card? (theoretically it should be possible :D)

RonR

Re: Clone 16 GB SD Card to 8 GB

Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:22 pm

omnia6890 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:25 pm
I have a Raspbian os on my 16gb micro sd and only 5 gb of it is occupied. How can I clone it to the 8 gb sd card? (theoretically it should be possible :D)
Image File Utilities contains image-backup which will backup your running system to an image file the size of your choosing. If you select a size of 0, it will tell you the minimum size required. The resulting image file can then be written to another device using Etcher. If you make the image file larger then the minimum, image-backup can also incrementally update the image file as needed.

HawaiianPi

Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:30 pm

Desktop versions of Raspbian include the SD Card Copier utility, which can clone a card to a smaller one (assuming the used space is smaller than the destination, of course). This creates another bootable card, ready to use. For backup purposes, RonR's option would be preferable.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

dsyleixa123

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:41 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Desktop versions of Raspbian include the SD Card Copier utility, which can clone a card to a smaller one (assuming the used space is smaller than the destination, of course). This creates another bootable card, ready to use. For backup purposes, RonR's option would be preferable.
it would be wishful if there was such a utility which runs also on non-GUI Raspbians (Jessie, Stretch, e.g. also for retro-Pie and Noobs) to copy SDs with all partitions to smaller ones, on the Pi itself, from a terminal window.

B.Goode

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:51 am

dsyleixa123 wrote:
HawaiianPi wrote:
it would be wishful if there was such a utility which runs also on non-GUI Raspbians (Jessie, Stretch, e.g. also for retro-Pie and Noobs) to copy SDs with all partitions to smaller ones, on the Pi itself, from a terminal window.

Someone should write such a tool and call it rpi-clone.

rpi-clone is a shell script that is for cloning a running Raspberry Pi booted source disk (SD card or USB disk) to a destination disk which will be bootable. Destination disks are SD cards in the SD card slot or a USB card reader, USB flash disks, or USB hard drives.
Ref: https://github.com/billw2/rpi-clone

dsyleixa123

Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:32 am

B.Goode wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:51 am
dsyleixa123 wrote:
HawaiianPi wrote:

Someone should write such a tool and call it rpi-clone.

rpi-clone is a shell script that is for cloning a running Raspberry Pi booted source disk (SD card or USB disk) to a destination disk which will be bootable. Destination disks are SD cards in the SD card slot or a USB card reader, USB flash disks, or USB hard drives.
Ref: https://github.com/billw2/rpi-clone
nice to know!
Nonetheless, the user interface should be improved, by a user dialog menu (text windows) like formerly used by Norton Utilities for DOS or Norton Ghost.
- or, alternatively, the same simplicity as in the GUI tool, just by text windows

The tons of rpi-clone command line parameters make me sick :roll:

B.Goode

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:16 pm

the user interface should be improved, by a user dialog menu

Since it is hosted on GitHub, maybe the developer/maintainer would be pleased to accept the improvements you make...

dsyleixa123

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:23 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:16 pm
the user interface should be improved, by a user dialog menu

Since it is hosted on GitHub, maybe the developer/maintainer would be pleased to accept the improvements you make...
I am a hobby USER, not a developer.

LTolledo

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:02 pm

dsyleixa123 wrote: ...the same simplicity as in the GUI tool, just by text windows...
ahh ...the simplicity of the by-gone DOS days.....I miss those....used to experiment with those in batch files......
linux scripts is the nearest alternative? hmmmm this could be interesting.....

but of course if the developer/originator of the program can do it better (than what I intend to do) then would love to try it!
it wouldn't hurt trying on my part.... just some stuff to add to repository of "skill acquired"...... ;)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

procount

Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:35 pm

dsyleixa123 wrote:
PINN (a variation of NOOBS) already contains a "clone" of the SDcard copier from Raspbian. PINN can also backup an individual OS and restore it to the same or a different SD card.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

chad_cao

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:48 am

Wow, sounds great.
They are useful to me. I am trying the similar things.
Thanks
Chad

dsyleixa123

Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:52 pm

procount wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:35 pm
dsyleixa123 wrote:
PINN (a variation of NOOBS) already contains a "clone" of the SDcard copier from Raspbian. PINN can also backup an individual OS and restore it to the same or a different SD card.
is there a installation protocol for PINN to non-GUI Stretch?

procount

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:20 am

dsyleixa123 wrote:
No not really, because PINN (like noobs) is an OS installer and is used to install Raspbian, not the other way round. So you would need to install PINN to the SD card first, then use PINN to install your other OSes, but thereafter you can use PINN'S clone facility to clone the SD card to another. It will even backup and restore any of it's installed OSes to another PINN SD card of a different size.(There are a couple of OS types that cannot be backed up, but most can).
There are details on my wiki about how to convert an existing installation so that it can be installed by PINN.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

dsyleixa123

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:49 am

procount wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:20 am
dsyleixa123 wrote:
No not really, because PINN (like noobs) is an OS installer and is used to install Raspbian, not the other way round. So you would need to install PINN to the SD card first, then use PINN to install your other OSes, but thereafter you can use PINN'S clone facility to clone the SD card to another. It will even backup and restore any of it's installed OSes to another PINN SD card of a different size.(There are a couple of OS types that cannot be backed up, but most can).
There are details on my wiki about how to convert an existing installation so that it can be installed by PINN.
ok, thanks, but that's too weird, because my retropie-Stretch already comes with a complete OS image, I added some extra game roms, now it's completely installed - except the required SD copy tool :|

procount

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:58 am

https://github.com/procount/pinn/wiki/H ... using-PINN details the procedure.

One day I may incorporate it into PINN itself to make it much easier.

dsyleixa123

Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:05 am

which is the problem about just installing the PINN copy tool on an existing Stretch?
Finally for Windows also all arbitrary programs can be simply installed on either Windows PC and either Windows version, either just by c+p or by a setup program...? (just to say, I'm fine with my retropie SD, it's not abot multi-boot OS SDs like Noobs or PINN)

procount

Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:43 am

dsyleixa123 wrote:
which [what] is the problem about just installing the PINN copy tool on an existing Stretch?
The problem is that it is not a standalone tool, but built-in as part of the PINN recovery program.
dsyleixa123 wrote:
Finally for Windows also all arbitrary programs can be simply installed on either Windows PC and either Windows version, either just by c+p or by a setup program...?
See above. You can do that on Linux, too, just not with PINN's copy tool.
dsyleixa123 wrote:
(just to say, I'm fine with my retropie SD, it's not abot multi-boot OS SDs like Noobs or PINN)
Understood. It's probably not worth the hassle for you, but maybe more of interest to other users who want this capability but have not yet installed the OS.
Note that PINN is not just about multi-booting OSes, it's now more like a complete OS administration and recovery tool.

Return to “Beginners”