Stigma

5V Solutions for Multiple Sensors w/o Breadboard

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:37 pm

What are some creative ideas on attaching multiple sensors to the Pi with each needing 5V/Gnd? I would like to avoid using breadboards as I don't want to deal with pins coming undone.

drgeoff

Re: 5V Solutions for Multiple Sensors w/o Breadboard

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:45 pm

Do you class learning to solder as a creative idea?

neilgl

Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:22 pm

How about crimping (say) 4 wires into a single DuPont connector for power and another 4 for ground. Then 4 sensors to 4 separate GPIO? Assuming power draw is low enough.
Or get some “wago” connectors that use levers to connect 5 wires etc.

RGJ-PI
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:46 pm

All depends on how many sensors we are talking about and the current requirements of them. If low then daisy chaining power and ground from one to the next should be fine. Your sensors might need decoupling capacitors too as I don't know if you are using just bare IC sensors or sensors on a small pcb for instance. But, before all that and most importantly..

If you are using 5V sensors as your title suggests then make sure you can set the output Voltage to 3V3 before you use them. A 5V sensor output into a GPIO pin is a good way to kill a Pi.
Some sensors that run on 5V have a pin to set the sensor output Voltage, often called something like VIO. If you tie this pin to the 3V3 pin on the Pi all will be good.

PhatFil

Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:59 pm

As i find it easy to use dupont wires to connect up Pi/sbc dev boards to modular sensors and components i tend to make bus bars for 5v 3.3v and gnd inside my project boxes made from strips of male header pins with the bottoms all soldered together, wrapping the short legs with some stripped stranded copper wire helps it suck up the solder.. these can then be hot glued into project boxes to provide multiple pins to connect extra modules to.

Return to “Beginners”