arc19

Data acquisition on Pi independent of monitor and keyboard

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:54 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering if there was a way that I could collect data and have it save on the SD card without having the pi connected to the monitor and keyboard.

Thanks!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Data acquisition on Pi independent of monitor and keyboard

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:56 pm

Indeed, that is a very common use case. It's called running the device 'headless' , Google will find a squillion pages on it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

arc19

Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:50 pm

Actually I had another question. I now understand how to set up the headless system but I'm still confused on how to have the pi do what i want it to do while headlessly connected? How do I make sure it is making files and writing the proper data to the files? Can I do this without needing an ethernet or usb wifi adaptor connection?

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:11 pm

arc19 wrote:
Actually I had another question. I now understand how to set up the headless system but I'm still confused on how to have the pi do what i want it to do while headlessly connected? How do I make sure it is making files and writing the proper data to the files? Can I do this without needing an ethernet or usb wifi adaptor connection?
Well... It's kind of hard to check up on it without either an external connection (wired or wireless) or a keyboard/mouse/monitor. What you can do is hook it up with one of those methods and monitor it for a while to see that it's doing what it is supposed to do and then turn it loose to contiune doing so on its own. Be aware, though, that without an internet connection, the Pi will only keep time while it's on and if it goes down and restarts after an interval, the time will be wrong. (I am presuming that, if you are collecting data, you want to know *when* any given entry was collected.)

The alternative is to install and enable an RTC.

jamesh

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:29 pm

arc19 wrote:
You could have a set of LED's that light up when its doing a particular task, so you knows its still running. Flashing one on and off for "I'm OK", another for writing data.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “Beginners”