Craiger884

Can raspberry pi turn on tv automatically?

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:40 am

I am looking for a way to have my tv automatically turn on each morning and then again off at the end of each day. Will this device allow this to happen? I notice my Samsung tv has capability to turn off but nothing to turn it on. Thanks in advance.

scotty101

Re: Can raspberry pi turn on tv automatically?

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:01 am

It is possible.
Two ways I've used in the past with a Samsung TV.

CEC is a communication method over the HDMI cable and can be used to send commands like power on/off, volume up/down etc to the TV
https://timleland.com/raspberry-pi-turn-tv-onoff-cec/

Infra Red: Use an IR LED and LIRC to send a command to turn on your TV. Disadvantage with this approach is that most manufacturers only have one code for on and off meaning that if your TV is already off and the Pi tries to turn it off again, it will actually turn on.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

Craiger884

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:07 am

So forgive me as I am still learning here- but this unit would be programmed with information similar to the link you provided. I would plug into tv (and power source) and then this device would turn tv on at specified times similar as if I manually turned on the power button (I would assume to the last channel and volume settings). Are they really that simple? Anything I need to look out for?

Thanks!!

PhatFil

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:07 am

For basic Power ON/OFF control. buy a smart socket and use that. if you dont like the idea of a remote server in constant contact with a smart wifi socket, which you shouldnt imho, get one that is compatible with alternative firmware like the excelant tasmota project..
then you can set the power to turn on/off whenever you want and issue mqtt commands via your pi to control it on the fly too.

https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-Tasmota/wiki

neilgl

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:30 am

Yes as scotty101 and PhatFil said it is possible. I use an infrared led attached to a piB+ to control on/off, channels, volume etc for Samsung tv, Humax satelllitte box and a sound bar (using lirc) and a smart plug with tasmota to control mains power. Also I added Alexa voice control to select a given channel.

Return to “Beginners”