Weigh a Pi

Pi as a sound board for a model railway - possible?

Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:19 pm

Hi,

I'm looking to build some kind of sound board for my Dad's model railway.

Ideally, this would consist of a sound board with 5-8 physical buttons linking to 5-8 seperate mini speakers around the railway (eg, one on a boat, one at a fairground, one on a road etc etc).

Is this at all possible? Would I be able to have multiple speakers on one Pi (with sound directing to one), or would each speaker require its own pi?

My only experience with Pi was building a handheld console, but with that, everything was provided on a kit with clear and concise instructions on what to solder and how to set up. So really, I still consider myself a complete noob.

If there's some kind of kit or guide to help me a long here, a link would be appreciated too.

Thanks for the help.

Andyroo

Re: Pi as a sound board for a model railway - possible?

Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:41 pm

Welcome to the forum,

The advantage of multiple Pi computers is that you can have multiple sounds at once, eg waves and seagulls in one area and the fairground in an other at the same time.

I’ve not seen a board driving multiple speakers with different sounds for the Pi (maybe someone has though).

To enable the sound, you could use one of them to control the others and use MQTT to pass a short command to the remote Pi boards saying play / stop - A Pi Zero W is capable of handing a simple screen, the MQTT broker and and playing a sound at once.

I would start simple, learn to use Python to create a basic screen (TKInter is a very popular toolkit), and playing a sound when a button is pressed. Then learn how to press another button to stop the sound. Next is to look at MQTT and sending / receiving messages and finally put it all together and buy a set of noise cancelling headphones :lol:
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

Andyroo

Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:45 pm

Sorry forgot: https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... -music-box has a link to playing sounds when you press a button - simpler the programming a screen :oops:
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

fbe

Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:49 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:41 pm
I’ve not seen a board driving multiple speakers with different sounds for the Pi (maybe someone has though).
You need an "output device" for each speaker if you want to play different sounds at the same time. Just for curiosity I connected two bluetooth speakers to the same board and I'm able to play sounds on each of them separately. But my speakers automatically turn off when idling for a certain time period and I can't promise that this will work with 5 to 8 speakers.

Return to “Beginners”