Involute

Using a desktop PC for Pi development

Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:36 pm

Noob here. I've had a Pi 1 and a Pi 2 which I basically just powered up and never did anything with because I didn't have an application in mind. Now I have an application, and a Pi 4, and I'm thinking more seriously about the mechanics of developing a Pi application.

I can hook up a separate monitor/keyboard/mouse, but that takes up a lot of space on my desk. I'd anticipated this with the previous Pis and tracked down an Atrix Lapdock (for my purposes, a nearly ideal solution) to address it, but I've never been able to get the Atrix to work with a Pi. Another solution would be to use my Windows 10 desktop's monitor/keyboard/mouse, and there seem to be several ways of doing this. Is there any one way that's considered best? Thanks for any tips and pointers to guides/tutorials.

trejan

Re: Using a desktop PC for Pi development

Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:39 pm

Use VNC + SSH to do everything over the network or buy a KVM to switch your keyboard/mouse/display between your PC and the RPi.

Andyroo

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:09 pm

I have a Samba share set up to the directory I am developing in and use Visual Studio Code to edit files in but save them on the Pi.

I then have a couple of ssh sessions (often with TMUX running) to execute the programs. If it’s a GUI that I need, then I’ll use VNC to do the testing or plug a screen etc it.

I’ve not tried a keyboard/video/mouse (KVM) switch - I would expect it to have to be an electronic on to work though.

I also have a VM with the Raspberry Pi Desktop for PC/Mac available if I need it.

The above is based on a Mac but I expect a P?c could do the same :lol:

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:33 am

Andyroo wrote:
I’ve not tried a keyboard/video/mouse (KVM) switch - I would expect it to have to be an electronic on to work though.
KVM switch come in a variety of configurations and ports. The one I connect Pis to is an Iomega "HD MiniView HD KVMP Switch HDMI". Newegg carries them... https://www.newegg.com/iogear-gcs1794-h ... 6817399048 Please note that I never claimed them to be inexpensive.

epoch1970

Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:15 am

trejan wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:39 pm
Use VNC + SSH to do everything over the network or buy a KVM to switch your keyboard/mouse/display between your PC and the RPi.
An USB serial console cable (GPIO on Pi’s side, USB on PC side) is another option. Text only, no graphical display.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

hippy

Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:14 pm

Andyroo wrote:
And often not cheap. I side-stepped the cost by having a separate Mouse/Keyboard switch and a separate HDMI switcher. If the PC has HDMI/VGA output and the monitor has HDMI(DVI)/VGA inputs, if happy with VGA from the PC, one can use the monitor to select between the two.

I built my own Mouse/Keyboard switch using a USB hub and a slide switch.

It is a bit more awkward to use than an commercial KVM but a lot cheaper.

ElEscalador

Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:48 pm

Realvnc. Preinstalled at least on the last couple versions. You can leave your pi at home and program/control your robot or whatever from the space station or anywhere else with internet.
Giving away some sensors and robot parts in advance of my book release! The first review and giveaway below!

https://youtu.be/fCX0HaeQiyw

Andyroo

Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:05 pm

ElEscalador wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:48 pm
Realvnc. Preinstalled at least on the last couple versions. You can leave your pi at home and program/control your robot or whatever from the space station or anywhere else with internet.
The ISS (last time I checked) crew only had a ‘home’ user 10Mb link - not bad BUT the latency delay was horrid and you would loose the mouse :lol: At the time they where also still running W2K :oops:

This was out of the 300Mbps down link the station had in total. Main issue was some of the ground stations could not cope with the faster speed...:lol:

I hope they got a free upgrade as the monthly cost would be a bit more that I would want to pay!

Beorn_Bear

Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:50 am

You will get a better respone time with a KVM over Realvnc. I find the Realvnc create more overhead and the Raspberry Pi does not react as fast with Realvnc.

Return to “Beginners”