Ekscentricitet
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:10 pm

Controlling the Pi with Android via Bluetooth

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:22 am

Hello,

I am trying to find a way to connect to my Raspberry Pi 3 B+ to my Android phone and control it from there. I managed to do that with SSH, but this doesn't suit my needs. So now I am trying to establish a connection that does not require the use of internet. My question is if there is a way to control the Pi using bluetooth (in a way similar to the SSH connection - connect and use)?

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 8051
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Controlling the Pi with Android via Bluetooth

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:44 am

Ekscentricitet wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:22 am
Hello,

I am trying to find a way to connect to my Raspberry Pi 3 B+ to my Android phone and control it from there. I managed to do that with SSH, but this doesn't suit my needs. So now I am trying to establish a connection that does not require the use of internet. My question is if there is a way to control the Pi using bluetooth (in a way similar to the SSH connection - connect and use)?


Blue Dot?


https://bluedot.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

User avatar
Gavinmc42
Posts: 3464
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 am

Re: Controlling the Pi with Android via Bluetooth

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:51 am

Here is one way - Episode 6
https://ultibo.org/make/

Many other ways to run a webserver on a Pi3 and control it with anything that has network access.

Does the new Buster release upgrade the 3B+ WiFi/BT chip to 5.0 as well?
BT5.0 has some interesting interface options.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Ekscentricitet
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: Controlling the Pi with Android via Bluetooth

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:58 am

B.Goode wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:44 am
Ekscentricitet wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:22 am
Hello,

I am trying to find a way to connect to my Raspberry Pi 3 B+ to my Android phone and control it from there. I managed to do that with SSH, but this doesn't suit my needs. So now I am trying to establish a connection that does not require the use of internet. My question is if there is a way to control the Pi using bluetooth (in a way similar to the SSH connection - connect and use)?


Blue Dot?


https://bluedot.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
Thanks for the answer! This won't work for me. I need to access the bash.

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 8051
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Controlling the Pi with Android via Bluetooth

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:05 am

So now I am trying to establish a connection that does not require the use of internet.

Attempting to run SSH over IP over Bluetooth sounds possible but beyond my experience.

But you don't need 'the internet' to make an SSH connection between an Android device and your RPi running Raspbian. Just a local WiFi connection. And if you don't have an accessible WiFi hotspot to connect the 2 devices, you could implement your own on the RPi.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s-point.md

Ekscentricitet
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: Controlling the Pi with Android via Bluetooth

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:09 am

B.Goode wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:05 am
So now I am trying to establish a connection that does not require the use of internet.

Attempting to run SSH over IP over Bluetooth sounds possible but beyond my experience.

But you don't need 'the internet' to make an SSH connection between an Android device and your RPi running Raspbian. Just a local WiFi connection. And if you don't have an accessible WiFi hotspot to connect the 2 devices, you could implement your own on the RPi.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s-point.md
Thanks, I will try that.

User avatar
Douglas6
Posts: 4715
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:34 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Controlling the Pi with Android via Bluetooth

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:17 pm

You can use rfcomm and getty to create a terminal over a Bluetooth Serial link. See here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 25#p955425

Return to “Beginners”