SaS1000

I want to connect an external antenna to Raspberry Pi Zero.

Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:06 pm

Hello all.
I want to know what is the element selected in the picture and what should be done with it by connecting the external antenna?
I will be grateful for your honest answer :)

topguy

Re: What is it in Raspberry Zero ?

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:31 pm

An antenna for what ? Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, GSM, Radio, TV ;-)
I will be grateful for your honest answer :)
Honestly.. I have no idea.

Maybe google have...
https://www.briandorey.com/post/raspber ... ntenna-mod
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=176249

trejan

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:49 pm

SaS1000 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:06 pm
I want to know what is the element selected in the picture and what should be done with it by connecting the external antenna?
RF filter.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:59 pm

If you attach an external antenna, and a black truck puls up before you door, with antenna on top, don't blame us.
adding an antenna invalidates FCC compliance (or whatever equivalence your country may use).

just kidding (not really). :mrgreen:

the built in antenna already gives out the maximum signal strength allowed, its much better than it small size indicates!

The "UFL antenna connector" is NOT for adding an external antenna, its for making connecting a PI to external test equipment possible.

SaS1000

Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:43 pm

@topguy - I need to connect the satellite dish ;) (I know these links)
@trejan - great thanks - a concrete answer :!:
@mahjongg - ok I will close the door and pretend that I am not at home 8-)

seriously: RPi will be locked in a metal casing, so ...

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:04 pm

SaS1000 wrote:
@topguy - I need to connect the satellite dish ;) (I know these links)
@trejan - great thanks - a concrete answer :!:

seriously: RPi will be locked in a metal casing, so ...
Its still not allowed, commercial metal cases have a strategically plastic opening to let wifi signals through.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:52 pm

SaS1000 wrote:
That won't work. They'll just get some friends and break down your door. Large friends. Armed to the teeth. Who will add a bunch of ancilliary charges....

Many years ago, we had a neighbor who was a ham radio operator. His signal tended to bleed into the TV broadcast band and we could hear him over commercial stations. My father had connected a tap directly to the TV audio circuits and plugged that into a reel-to-reel 1/4" tape deck. My father told the neighbor that he needed to put better shielding on his transmitter and why. After no action took place, my father happened to be taping a program when the neighbor's transmission came through quite clearly, complete with call letters. So my father made a copy of the tape and simply mailed it to the FCC. Shortly thereafter, the neighbor had a group of men in suits on his doorstep telling him in no uncertain terms that he was going (a) shut down his transmitter NOW, (b) shield it properly, (c) not use it until it was properly shielded. The alternative was losing his ham license *right* *now*.

So...the risk is not that someone from your national regulatory body may happen by and notice, but that *anyone* within range of your signal may notice and be annoyed by it and notify said regulatory body. If you are very, very lucky that anyone will let you know you've got a problem (and note that it is *your* problem, not your neighbors problem).

jahboater

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:34 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:52 pm
and note that it is *your* problem, not your neighbors problem.
Not necessarily. Your transmission could be entirely within your allocated band with no spurious harmonics, and yet still cause interference to a neighbors set. Often cheap wide-band antenna amplifiers or cheap sets suffer from intermodulation interference. Then its the neighbors problem. The men in suits would have checked the ham's equipment.

You obviously cannot shield a transmitter, you can however improve the filtering so that it only transmits on the desired frequency or close by. Any commercial ham set would be fine, but ham's are allowed to design and build their own transmitters that don't need type approval. A simple answer is just a taller mast, the strong signal then goes above the neighbors antenna. Or the ham helps the neighbor improve their set, usually by adding filters.

One amusing suggestion for a ham moving into a new house, is to immediately put up all the antenna's but leave the transmitters in their boxes and disconnected. Then wait for the inevitable complaints. The neighbors are too embarrassed to complain later on.
Last edited by jahboater on Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SaS1000

Re: I want to connect an external antenna to Raspberry Pi Zero.

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:43 pm

"will close the door and pretend that I am not at home" OK - it was a joke :roll:

I do not intend to disturb the broadcasts of the neighbors
Question 1: how big is the WiFi range Pi Zero in the open space?
Question 2: how large is Pi Zero's range in a closed hall where there are many electronic devices, metal shelves with goods and containers with water? (I know the answer to this question)

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:57 pm

SaS1000 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:43 pm
"will close the door and pretend that I am not at home" OK - it was a joke :roll:
I suspected as much, but not everyone will take such statements that way. Besides using "it was just a joke" as a post hoc claim (which is almost invariably a bad idea), there are some groups for which making such jokes goes very badly indeed. The two groups not to make jokes to that you are most likely to encounter are customs agents and TSA agents.

tropism

Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:39 am

mahjongg wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:59 pm
If you attach an external antenna, and a black truck puls up before you door, with antenna on top, don't blame us.
adding an antenna invalidates FCC compliance (or whatever equivalence your country may use).

just kidding (not really). :mrgreen:

the built in antenna already gives out the maximum signal strength allowed, its much better than it small size indicates!
True, but you can get around this by getting a ham license*. [moderator, NO YOU DON"t even HAMS are subject to the LAW!!!] That allows you to run up to 4W, IIRC, or quadruple the normal WiFi power limitation. (I believe you have to get any license beyond the most basic one, but that's not exactly difficult.)

* Offer valid in the US only, YMMV.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:54 pm

@IOTON Please stop advocating the illegal modification of the antenna system of a PI, or you will be banned permanently, not just two weeks I gave you now!!! :twisted: :roll: :roll:

I cannot stop you from doing this with your own stuff, but I WILL try to stop you from getting our readers into trouble (prison).

Return to “Beginners”