TRL

Terminal Shortcut CTRL-ALT-T Stopped Working

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:31 am

I have a pi 3 B and decided to upgrade Raspbian from Jesse to Buster. I reflashed my SD card and got Buster up and running without a problem. I dislike the default appearance of Raspbian, so adjusted a bunch of appearance settings and preferences to my liking. Most of these settings where GUI themes, fonts, icon themes, colors, etc.

However, somewhere in the process, the CTRL-Alt-T shortcut to open the terminal stopped working. I tried using the "Setup Hot Keys" item found in the main menu editor, however, I get an error saying that "Window manager Openbox isn't supported now, sorry." when I try to run it. After some research, I found the openbox folder "~/.config/openbox" with an XML file where you can add/remove keybindings. Currently, there is no terminal shortcut in the file. But with the error I got from the Hot Keys Setup, should the CTRL-Alt-T keybind even go in this file?

I've tried to ignore this missing shortcut, however, has become extremely annoying not having it. Is there a new way to add keyboard shortcuts in buster?
uname -a
Linux *raspiName 4.19.57-v7+ #1244 SMP Thu Jul 4 18:45:25 BST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux
Also, all software on my pi is up to date.

neilgl

Re: Terminal Shortcut CTRL-ALT-T Stopped Working

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:46 am

The CTRL-ALT-T does work i.e. brings up a terminal, after just using etcher to put Buster onto an microSD card. So you could get it back by doing a fresh install.

klricks

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:52 pm

I found that using obconf to set multiple desktops will cause ALL desktop shortcuts to stop working in addition to [CTRL] [Alt] t.
[CTRL] [Alt] [F2]
[Windows logo key] or [CTRL] [Esc]
etc

I believe this also happened in Stretch as well.
I have not found a way to fix that other than a reinstall OS.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

cflyer185

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:51 pm

Just got the answer from a friend that is a linux guru.

Go to /home/username/.config and edit the lxde-pi-rc.xml file. Ignore the comment about not changing the file. I found the original file with the original keyboard shortcuts in /etc/xdg/Openbox/ and so copied the shortcuts I wanted from there to the one in .config. Of course you can make up your own or modify existing ones as well.

Here is a helpful link if you want to generate a new binding. http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Bindings#Key_bindings

Hope this helps.

cflyer185

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:16 pm

Opps, sorry. The file to edit is in /home/username/.config/Openbox/.

klricks

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:59 pm

cflyer185 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:16 pm
Opps, sorry. The file to edit is in /home/username/.config/Openbox/.
It's actually: /home/username/.config/openbox/

I just copied the entire file to restore all to default.

Code: Select all

sudo cp /etc/xdg/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml /home/pi/.config/openbox
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Return to “Beginners”