SilverbackGrizzly

Dual-Booting without NOOBS or PIIN or BerryBoot

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:55 am

Okay. So here's the situation(and I'm sure this has probably been answered, but I don't know where.)

I am building a RasPi3B+ for my ten year-old son as a learning/coding desktop and as a retro gaming console.
I have very limited knowledge of Linux, and I do not have a Linux distro to add my own OSes to the aforementioned bootloaders. So the Github option is not a valid option for me.
I downloaded the latest and most up-to-date versions of Raspbian and RetroPie. I want to use these versions and no other.
I have already installed Raspbian on a 256GB SD card(It boots, it works.) and RetroPie on a 128GB SD card(also boots, also works.)
I want these cards connected to the Pi at all times, but want a bootloader to give me an option of which of these to boot to.
I'm using Windows 10 as my main system(again, no Linux option and little knowledge of it anyways. Yet.)

What are my options here, realistically?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

procount

Re: Dual-Booting without NOOBS or PIIN or BerryBoot

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:21 pm

Use PINN :D
  • Compatible with NOOBS
  • offers more OS choice (includes latest Raspbian and Retropie)
  • Provides backup/restore/replace capability of each individual OS
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

SilverbackGrizzly

Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:40 pm

procount wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:21 pm
Use PINN :D
  • Compatible with NOOBS
  • offers more OS choice (includes latest Raspbian and Retropie)
  • Provides backup/restore/replace capability of each individual OS
Seems I wrote this post in haste. With poor information. The last I saw about PINN was that they had older versions of what I wanted, and it was either take it ,or create/convert your own. Have the Mods please remove my topic as it serves no purpose.

procount

Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:21 pm

I do my best to keep them updated but there's over 60 to maintain now so it takes a while to get around them all when I'm not updating PINN with new features, like releasing a pi4 compatible version on launch day.

I have more support now with Matt looking after a lot of gaming and media centre OSes, Sakaki hosts her own gentoo64 OSes and iof course there's the OSes provided by NOOBS that are also available

But no worries. At least you've heard of PINN, which is a good start! :D
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

LTolledo

Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:07 pm

there is this thing....
switchable microSD.jpeg
switchable microSD.jpeg (10.79 KiB) Viewed 126 times

though have not tried it personally (have no use for it)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

SilverbackGrizzly

Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:35 am

LTolledo wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:07 pm
there is this thing....switchable microSD.jpeg

though have not tried it personally (have no use for it)
An interesting contraption, but would probably overcomplicate things, which will probably confuse a ten year-old as it is. But thank you.
PINN seems to be working fine. I have things updating on a single 256GB SD card, which should be more than enough for him for the
time being. Along with the Pi, I'll be giving him a copy of Raspberry Pi for Dummies: For Kids. Hoping this will usher in a passion for tech and coding, along with giving him a kickstart into an ever-increasingly more technologically complicated world. Or, it may just be an interesting curiosity and he'll go off into the wild doing something completely different. Who's to say?

Return to “Beginners”