MoistFactorSupremo

Installing VNC for NOOBS

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:53 pm

I'm very new at this and I have read that NOOBS don't have preinstalled VNC and there should be no reason why you would do it, but I have found some that explains how to do it, but I dont understand it, how I install it.

What I understand I should beable too go into some folder, root PINN directory and there I should find a file named "recovery.cmdline" but I can't find any thing at all, and i must be doing something wrong.

There should be a 2nd way to do it which for me sounds a little easier. I will have to reboot and press shift and go into cmdline.txt and copy paste "vncinstall" and forcetrigger in addition. But my real question is, do i need to just copy and paste "forcetrigger vncinstall" on a new line in the "cmdline.txt" or do i need to do something else??

it's quite hard to explain when you know very little about it
hope you understand what i mean and help me with my little problem :)

fruitoftheloom

Re: Installing VNC for NOOBS

Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:47 pm

MoistFactorSupremo wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:53 pm
I'm very new at this and I have read that NOOBS don't have preinstalled VNC and there should be no reason why you would do it, but I have found some that explains how to do it, but I dont understand it, how I install it.

What I understand I should beable too go into some folder, root PINN directory and there I should find a file named "recovery.cmdline" but I can't find any thing at all, and i must be doing something wrong.

There should be a 2nd way to do it which for me sounds a little easier. I will have to reboot and press shift and go into cmdline.txt and copy paste "vncinstall" and forcetrigger in addition. But my real question is, do i need to just copy and paste "forcetrigger vncinstall" on a new line in the "cmdline.txt" or do i need to do something else??

it's quite hard to explain when you know very little about it
hope you understand what i mean and help me with my little problem :)

NoobS / PiNN are installer / choosers and not Operating System par-se:

Forget using NoobsS / PiNN and install standalone Raspbian Stretch with Desktop:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

Then follow the official documentation:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... te-access/

adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

dl324

Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:24 pm

If you're going to use Raspian desktop, skip NOOBS and just copy Raspian to your microSD card. Raspian desktop with recommended additions includes RealVNC.

procount

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:16 pm

@MoistFactorSupremo
What you say you want to do is perfectly possible, but I wonder if that is really what you want to do?
Many newcomers often get confused between NOOBS - which is an OS-installer, and Raspbian - which is the main OS that is used on the RPi.
Also you refer to instructions for PINN, which is similar to NOOBS, but not exactly the same.

Firstly, no matter what you have been told, NOOBS, PINN and RASPBIAN all have VNC pre-installed. But you need to enable it.
The instructions you quote are all about enabling VNC on NOOBS or PINN.
The only reason for doing this is to be able to chose or install an OS remotely when your RPi has no keyboard or monitor.
Is this what you want to do? If so the instructions you have read should be adequate. If you are struggling, please post a link to the instructions you are following, explain what you did, and where it failed, and someone will be able to help you out.

Note that NOOBS only has the 'vncinstall' option which only displays the screen over VNC and any local monitor will be blank.
PINN also has the 'vncshare' option which displays the screen on the local monitor AND on the remote VNC client.

Note that enabling VNC on NOOBS/PINN does not enable it in any of the OSes that you install with it.
If you are enabling VNC in NOOBS/PINN becuase you have no local monitor or keyboard, then you probably need to enable it in Raspbian as well.
To do this, you should enable ssh in Raspbian first, so that you can ssh into it once installed and from there enable vnc via 'sudo raspi-config'.

So come back with what you exactly want to do and why and explain where it is you are struggling. the more detail you provide, the more people can help you.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Return to “Beginners”