K Research

PHPBB Forum Server on Raspberry pi

Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:25 am

Looking for a updated detailed verified tutorial on installing a web server on a Raspberry pi that will run the current version of PHPBB, its hard to learn something doing the wrong things over and over.

Already tried 4 tutorials trying to install the web server 99.9% of the problems are associated with mysql and permissions and setting up accounts and passwords TOO MUCH is assumed my skills are 0 with mysql

Note
I have been playing around with web servers for years have successfully had running websites including phpbb the success was just following step by step instructions that worked this was in a windows environment.

ONE tutorial I tried after about an hour of wasting my time I discovered when you type Sudo followed by a command with a capital S it dont work I need a tutorial by someone competent and who has verified every command if you add a . at the end of the command I will cut and paste that . into terminal unless you tell me different.

YES I tried the search this was the last one I tried and it did not work
http://210.54.35.249/forums/viewtopic.p ... 9d22a24ae1

Made it to CREATE USER 'newuser'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY '*********'; where Terminal gave me the finger and said "bash: CREATE: command not found" whatever that means.

Thanks in advance

rpdom

Re: PHPBB Forum Server on Raspberry pi

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:38 am

I can't give you a step-by-step because I would have to test it out and write it up first, but I can tell you why your CREATE USER command isn't working.
You are typing the command at the "shell" command line prompt, which is for Linux commands. The "CREATE USER" is a MySQL (actually MariaDB these days, but it works the same) and needs to be typed in at a "mysql" prompt.

To get to the mysql prompt, type:

Code: Select all

sudo mysql -u root
You will then get a prompt like

MariaDB [(none)]>
and you can type in the CREATE USER command.
To exit the MariDB session, type quit or QUIT or Press Ctrl and D

As you have found, the Linux shell commands are case sensitive and (almost) always are in lower-case. The MySQL/MariaDB commands tend to be in upper-case, but that does not matter, it just makes it easier to see what is a COMMAND and what is a data name or a value.

K Research

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:08 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply

I made it this far

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo mysql -u root
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

K Research

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:42 pm

Update I worked back through the instructions a second time and where it says
sudo mysql -u root -p just hit enter I entered my password this returned

Welcome to the MariaDB monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MariaDB connection id is 7
Server version: 10.1.38-MariaDB-0+deb9u1 Raspbian 9.0

Copyright (c) 2000, 2018, Oracle, MariaDB Corporation Ab and others.

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

MariaDB [(none)]>

I entered CREATE USER 'newuser'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY '*********'; and it returned
MariaDB [(none)]> CREATE USER 'newuser'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY '*********';
ERROR 1227 (42000): Access denied; you need (at least one of) the CREATE USER privilege(s) for this operation
MariaDB [(none)]>

K Research

Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:15 pm

Yeah now the whole thing is broke when I go to localhost it returns the following error

This site can’t be reached localhost refused to connect.
Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Time to remove everything and start over Back to the original question I am looking for a updated detailed verified tutorial on installing a web server on a Raspberry pi that will run the current version of PHPBB

rpdom

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:56 pm

If I get time tomorrow I will set up a Pi with a new Raspbian install and try installing phpbb3 from scratch. No promises because I have a busy weekend ahead of me and have to do a load of things to get ready for it.

Andyroo

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:15 pm

One other way (if this Pi is going to be dedicated) is to use Diet Pi https://dietpi.com as one of its software options is phpBB3

The front end will do most of the work for you https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php? ... tart=5#p51 but note this comes with a couple of warnings:

1) DietPi is not Raspbian - it has the same roots but it aint the same. Support is via their forums more than here
2) To quote the folk at Diet Pi - Somewhat bulky installation, due to webserver pre-req

Like a lot of things - if you want to know how it sticks together then I would take up rpdom's very kind offer or if you want to use this as a dedicated board on a dedicated Pi ( :?: :roll: ) - cheat and let Diet Pi do the work :lol:
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

K Research

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:18 pm

rpdom wrote:
If I get time tomorrow I will set up a Pi with a new Raspbian install and try installing phpbb3 from scratch. No promises because I have a busy weekend ahead of me and have to do a load of things to get ready for it.
Yes please, be very detail when it comes to anything associated with mysql, passwords, ownership, granting access to files and of course security.

Thanks

K Research

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:45 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:15 pm
One other way (if this Pi is going to be dedicated) is to use Diet Pi https://dietpi.com as one of its software options is phpBB3

The front end will do most of the work for you https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php? ... tart=5#p51 but note this comes with a couple of warnings:

1) DietPi is not Raspbian - it has the same roots but it aint the same. Support is via their forums more than here
2) To quote the folk at Diet Pi - Somewhat bulky installation, due to webserver pre-req

Like a lot of things - if you want to know how it sticks together then I would take up rpdom's very kind offer or if you want to use this as a dedicated board on a dedicated Pi ( :?: :roll: ) - cheat and let Diet Pi do the work :lol:

I took a brief look at DietPi was very confused about the whole deal, is it free or paid, to me the website is very busy confusing, flashing blinking screens WHY? starting out confused and having many questions in the first 5 minutes on the site is a huge turn off for me since I am already confused about setting up a server, short on time to dedicate I walked away, starting next week I will have about 5 weeks to dig deeper owner of the site should think intuitive over flashy, the color burns my eyes, first look unimpressed...

To answer your question I would like to have both and learn both, would like a dedicated machine just to run the phpbb (Pi Zero) and would like a setup with the full blown functionality of Raspbian mainly for research by internet, processing photos to be uploaded to the phpbb
( Rpi 3b+)

For years I have used https://www.uniformserver.com/ in a windows environment its a genius setup had a server setup and fully functional in minutes he even created phpbb mini server https://sourceforge.net/projects/minise ... _%20phpBB/ my setup was even portable, Windows 10 started acting like more like Android I switched to Linux Mint turned off the server now want another on a pi one for home one for the RV grand kids are getting old enough to interest them in Raspberry pi so will set them up too.

Thanks

fbe

Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:23 pm

Just to demonstrate that the installation is possible on Raspbian Stretch Lite (2019-04-08).
Setup was headless, connected via ethernet, ssh enabled, static ip address (192.168.2.113) configured in /etc/dhcpcd.conf (my router doesn't support fixed IP address assignment...)

sudo apt update
sudo apt -y upgrade
sudo reboot
Rebooted as kernel/bootcode were updated.

Installation requirements:

sudo apt -y install apache2
sudo apt -y install mariadb-server mariadb-client
sudo apt -y install php php-mysql php-json php-xml
Login to local MariaDB server as root:

sudo mysql
In the mysql "command line interface" create the database and user for phpBB

create database phpbb3db;
grant all privileges on phpbb3db.* to 'phpbb3admin'@'localhost' identified by 'secret';
exit;
Create a directory for phpBB files (if you don't do it below /var/www you need to edit other config files too).

sudo mkdir -p /var/www/phpBB3
sudo chown pi:pi /var/www/phpBB3
cd /var/www/phpBB3
wget https://www.phpbb.com/files/release/phpBB-3.2.7.zip
unzip phpBB-3.2.7.zip
The install page will complain if certain directories and files are not writable for the webserver

sudo chown pi:www-data phpBB3/cache phpBB3/store phpBB3/files phpBB3/images/avatars/upload
sudo chmod 775 phpBB3/cache phpBB3/store phpBB3/files phpBB3/images/avatars/upload
The credentials for database login will be stored in phpBB3/config.php. Make sure that it is writable to www-data too and that nobody else can read it.

sudo chown pi:www-data phpBB3/config.php
sudo chmod 660 phpBB3/config.php
Include the directory into apache configuration

mkdir -p apache2
cat > apache2/phpBB3.conf << EOF
Alias /forum `pwd`/phpBB3
EOF
sudo ln -s `pwd`/apache2/phpBB3.conf /etc/apache2/conf-available/phpBB3.conf
sudo a2enconf phpBB3.conf
sudo systemctl reload apache2
Now in a browser on any machine start the installation: http://192.168.2.113/forum
Administrator configuration: These are your private data. E.g.
* Administrator username: Superuser
* Contact email address: nobody@example.com
* Administrator password: ********
* Confirm administrator password: ********

Database Configuration:
* Database type: MySQL with MySQLi Extension (was pre-selected already)
* Database server hostname or DSN: localhost
* Database server port: (left blank)
* Database username: phpbb3admin
* Database password: secret
* Database name: phpbb3db
* Prefix for tables in database: phpbb_ (left untouched)

Server configuration:
* Confirmed the defaults
Please be careful with the Domain name setting here.

E-mail configuration:
* Confirmed the defaults

Bulletin board configuration:
* Confirmed the defaults

http://192.168.2.113/forum Now shows a hint:
Please delete, move or rename the install directory before you use your board. If this directory is still present, only the Administration Control Panel (ACP) will be accessible.
Back in terminal on the Raspberry Pi:

cd /var/www/phpBB3
mv phpBB3/install phpBB3/install.bak
That's it. I could login as Superuser, register as Demouser and then login as Demouser...

I did it just for curiousity and never used or installed phpBB before.

Don't trust in tutorials that advise you to run mysql_secure_installation on Debian/Raspbian Stretch.
Don't trust in tutorials that advise you to setup a password for 'root'@'localhost' on Debian/Raspbian Stretch.

If you need a MariaDB superuser with password authentication create a new user:

sudo mysql
to login then

grant all privileges on *.* to 'admin'@'localhost' identified by 'secret' with grant option;
exit;
To login as admin now type

mysql -u admin -p
And type your password (secret) when asked. This user can be used to login in phpmyadmin. root won't work.

Now go on and add or change things. If something breaks go back.

K Research

Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:52 am

rpdom wrote:
Any luck?

K Research

Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:02 am

fbe wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:23 pm
Just to demonstrate that the installation is possible on Raspbian Stretch Lite (2019-04-08).
Setup was headless, connected via ethernet, ssh enabled, static ip address (192.168.2.113) configured in /etc/dhcpcd.conf (my router doesn't support fixed IP address assignment...)

sudo apt update
sudo apt -y upgrade
sudo reboot
Rebooted as kernel/bootcode were updated.

Installation requirements:

sudo apt -y install apache2
sudo apt -y install mariadb-server mariadb-client
sudo apt -y install php php-mysql php-json php-xml
Login to local MariaDB server as root:

sudo mysql
In the mysql "command line interface" create the database and user for phpBB

create database phpbb3db;
grant all privileges on phpbb3db.* to 'phpbb3admin'@'localhost' identified by 'secret';
exit;
Create a directory for phpBB files (if you don't do it below /var/www you need to edit other config files too).

sudo mkdir -p /var/www/phpBB3
sudo chown pi:pi /var/www/phpBB3
cd /var/www/phpBB3
wget https://www.phpbb.com/files/release/phpBB-3.2.7.zip
unzip phpBB-3.2.7.zip
The install page will complain if certain directories and files are not writable for the webserver

sudo chown pi:www-data phpBB3/cache phpBB3/store phpBB3/files phpBB3/images/avatars/upload
sudo chmod 775 phpBB3/cache phpBB3/store phpBB3/files phpBB3/images/avatars/upload
The credentials for database login will be stored in phpBB3/config.php. Make sure that it is writable to www-data too and that nobody else can read it.

sudo chown pi:www-data phpBB3/config.php
sudo chmod 660 phpBB3/config.php
Include the directory into apache configuration

mkdir -p apache2
EOF
Now in a browser on any machine start the installation: http://192.168.2.113/forum
Administrator configuration: These are your private data. E.g.
* Administrator username: Superuser
* Contact email address: nobody@example.com
* Administrator password: ********
* Confirm administrator password: ********

Database Configuration:
* Database type: MySQL with MySQLi Extension (was pre-selected already)
* Database server hostname or DSN: localhost
* Database server port: (left blank)
* Database username: phpbb3admin
* Database password: secret
* Database name: phpbb3db
* Prefix for tables in database: phpbb_ (left untouched)

Server configuration:
* Confirmed the defaults
Please be careful with the Domain name setting here.

E-mail configuration:
* Confirmed the defaults

Bulletin board configuration:
* Confirmed the defaults

http://192.168.2.113/forum Now shows a hint:
Please delete, move or rename the install directory before you use your board. If this directory is still present, only the Administration Control Panel (ACP) will be accessible.
Back in terminal on the Raspberry Pi:

cd /var/www/phpBB3
mv phpBB3/install phpBB3/install.bak
That's it. I could login as Superuser, register as Demouser and then login as Demouser...

I did it just for curiousity and never used or installed phpBB before.

Don't trust in tutorials that advise you to run mysql_secure_installation on Debian/Raspbian Stretch.
Don't trust in tutorials that advise you to setup a password for 'root'@'localhost' on Debian/Raspbian Stretch.

If you need a MariaDB superuser with password authentication create a new user:

sudo mysql
to login then

grant all privileges on *.* to 'admin'@'localhost' identified by 'secret' with grant option;
exit;
To login as admin now type

mysql -u admin -p
And type your password (secret) when asked. This user can be used to login in phpmyadmin. root won't work.

Now go on and add or change things. If something breaks go back.
Thanks for the tutorial I made it to grant all privileges on phpbb3db.* to 'phpbb3admin'@'localhost' identified by 'secret'; where when trying to create the @ it created a " no matter what I tried every key on the keyboard could not get a @ assume Stretch Lite is not seeing the correct keyboard, never had this problem before.

Other problems I had but was able to get past was at sudo apt -y install mariadb-server mariadb-client the server times out or something it suggested to add --fix-missing I did and it worked the second time

At sudo apt -y install php php-mysql php-json php-xml it gave te error E: unable to locate package php-mysql I ran sudo apt-update sudo apt-get upgrade tried again and it worked.

Will this install on Raspbian Stretch with desktop and recommended software OR Raspbian Stretch with desktop bet I can get past the @ error

Thanks

fbe

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:51 am

Yes, Raspbian Stretch with Desktop (with or without recommended software) will work and might be easier to use, as you can open a browser here and just copy and paste my commands into a terminal window.

I didn't need to setup the keyboard because the keyboard setup of my remote Windows machine was used when working via PuTTY. Actually you can't even setup the keyboard layout if no keyboard is connected to your Raspberry Pi. On Raspbian Lite the keyboard layout setup can be done with the raspi-config tool.

sudo raspi-config
Then select "4 Localisation Options" and "I 3 Change Keyboard Layout".

The other characters with complications may be the backticks (`) around the pwd command in

mkdir -p apache2
EOF
You could write

mkdir -p apache2
Alias /forum /var/www/phpBB3/phpBB3
EOF
sudo ln -s /var/www/phpBB3/apache2/phpBB3.conf /etc/apache2/conf-available/phpBB3.conf
instead.

The errors with apt sometimes happen when the servers get updated.

K Research

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:44 am

fbe wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:51 am
Yes, Raspbian Stretch with Desktop (with or without recommended software) will work and might be easier to use, as you can open a browser here and just copy and paste my commands into a terminal window.

I didn't need to setup the keyboard because the keyboard setup of my remote Windows machine was used when working via PuTTY. Actually you can't even setup the keyboard layout if no keyboard is connected to your Raspberry Pi. On Raspbian Lite the keyboard layout setup can be done with the raspi-config tool.

sudo raspi-config
Then select "4 Localisation Options" and "I 3 Change Keyboard Layout".

The other characters with complications may be the backticks (`) around the pwd command in

mkdir -p apache2
EOF
You could write

mkdir -p apache2
EOF
sudo ln -s /var/www/phpBB3/apache2/phpBB3.conf /etc/apache2/conf-available/phpBB3.conf
instead.

The errors with apt sometimes happen when the servers get updated.
SO I spend over an hr trying to make the keyboard work with the raspi-config tool no matter what Logitech I choose still no @
having never played with ssh I spent about an hr trying to figure out putty after finally getting it to connect and logging into the Raspberry pi I discover the FONT in putty is about 40x smaller than I need so I can read whats in the 4"x3" box on my 31" monitor NEXT I use the ssh in Linux Mint 19 connect and can see normal size fonts and whilst entering commands I make it to the EOF part then Linux Mint locks up solid 19 is a POS reminds me of the stability of Windows 95

It gets better I kill power on the LM 19 computer then restore reboot a few times so it will restart properly restart ssh in terminal connect to the pi but it will NOT accept the password, start up PUTTY and am able to log into the pi no problem I just cant read the text on the screen, the text is 10x smaller than I see here.

I have over 20 hours wrapped up trying to install a simple web server and phpBB on a pi 3b+

Those of you still running Windows go here https://www.uniformserver.com/ download the latest version, extract the zip double click on UniController can someone explain why it cant be this complicated on a Raspberry pi? I just do not get it . BTW you can extract Uniserver on a thumb drive and plug it into any Windows computer and run its portable...

I am at a loss what to do next Research how to make PUTTY large enough to see what I am typing, by time I figure that out I forget where where I left off, do I just start copying and pasting ALL the commands over again from the start, format the current card in the Raspberry pi and start over with a new image? How are we suppose to learn when its nonstop interruptions, suggestions please.

Ernst

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:33 am

K Research wrote:
SO I spend over an hr trying to make the keyboard work with the raspi-config tool no matter what Logitech I choose still no @
You do not have to select Logitech, you can use one of the "Generic ..." entries, more important is the layout selection because this is what is used to specify the location of the special keys. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout)
K Research wrote:
I am at a loss what to do next Research how to make PUTTY large enough to see what I am typing
The secret is "Change Settings ...", after opening the terminal window use the mouse to click on the icon in the title bar and select change settings. In the category "Window" / "Appearance" the font can be selected. The same can be done in the PuTTY configuration. I suggest you download and install the hack font https://sourcefoundry.org/hack/ for use with PuTTY.
The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

xlc

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:18 am

Hi, sorry to hijack, but can I ask @fbe what code to use if your using Nginx and not apache?

Thanks

fbe

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:49 pm

Sorry, but no, I don't use nginx.

For Apache some changes are recommended for security reasons. The above configuration ignores ".htaccess" files (this is the default behavior below /var/www) that deny http access to certain files and directories. Actually the Apache documentation recommends not to use these files for performance reasons. But the settings in these files should be included accordingly into the apache2/phpBB3.conf file.

<Directory /var/www/phpBB3 >
        Options FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride None
        Require all denied
</Directory>

<Directory /var/www/phpBB3/phpBB3 >
        <Files "common.php">
                Require all denied
        </Files>
        <Files "config.php">
               Require all denied
        </Files>
        <Files "web.config">
               Require all denied
        </Files>
        <Files "composer.json">
               Require all denied
        </Files>
        <Files "composer.lock">
               Require all denied
        </Files>
        Require all granted
</Directory>

<Directory /var/www/phpBB3/phpBB3/cache >
        Require all denied
</Directory>

<Directory /var/www/phpBB3/phpBB3/config >
        Require all denied
</Directory>

<Directory /var/www/phpBB3/phpBB3/files >
        Require all denied
</Directory>

<Directory /var/www/phpBB3/phpBB3/images/avatars/upload >
        Require all denied
</Directory>

<Directory /var/www/phpBB3/phpBB3/includes >
        Require all denied
</Directory>

<Directory /var/www/phpBB3/phpBB3//phpbb/db/migration/data >
        Require all denied
</Directory>

<Directory /var/www/phpBB3/phpBB3/store >
        Require all denied
</Directory>
And don't forget https before thinking about exposing a forum to the web.

Return to “Beginners”