Mtl_Biker

HOOBS, NOOBS: Differences?

Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:35 pm

I'm quite a noobie and the only one I really understand (as much as a man can) is the last one. Could someone please explain the differences between HOOBS and NOOBS and how it all relates to Raspbian?

I've got a second RPi 3+ B arriving later today and the uSD card is preloaded with NOOBS. On my first RPi, the card was simply "preloaded with Raspbian OS".

What are the differences and what does it mean to me in practice?

Thanks!

digzuwu

Re: HOOBS, NOOBS & BOOBS: Differences?

Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:40 pm

NOOBS is basically a 'multi-OS' loader so you can dual boot something (either what's included in the repository or a compatible img file off external media of your choice), though I'd recommend also checking out the PINN project on GitHub, which has some more OS choices inside its repo as far as I know.

Just something to well, make life easier for those who just want to get going with Raspbian or the like.

Mtl_Biker

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:01 pm

digzuwu wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:40 pm
NOOBS is basically a 'multi-OS' loader so you can dual boot something (either what's included in the repository or a compatible img file off external media of your choice), though I'd recommend also checking out the PINN project on GitHub, which has some more OS choices inside its repo as far as I know.

Just something to well, make life easier for those who just want to get going with Raspbian or the like.
Thank you.

So, it wouldn't be wrong for me to make an image backup of that uSD card for safety, and then to reformat it and using Etcher to put Raspbian on it? I would guess that this would give me pretty much the same thing as on my first RPi, which I got less than 2 weeks ago.

dl324

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:19 pm

Mtl_Biker wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:01 pm
So, it wouldn't be wrong for me to make an image backup of that uSD card for safety, and then to reformat it and using Etcher to put Raspbian on it? I would guess that this would give me pretty much the same thing as on my first RPi, which I got less than 2 weeks ago.
If you like how you have your first RPi configured, just copy that image and make tweaks for the new one; like hostname.

Mtl_Biker

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:30 pm

dl324 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:19 pm
If you like how you have your first RPi configured, just copy that image and make tweaks for the new one; like hostname.
I do like how the first one is configured, but it's set up with HomeBridge auto starting on boot. This second one will be just for playing and hopefully for learning MariaSQL. So a clean system is probably best. I've decided to make an image backup of the uSD card that the RPi comes with, then wipe the card clean and install Raspbian on it (using Etcher). If nothing else, it'll be a learning experience.

Return to “Beginners”