IBrokeIt

Synaptic wont work on new install

Mon May 20, 2019 10:54 am

I installed Raspbian Lite and XFCE on my new Pi3B+ earlier by following this guide.https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?p=890408
I made a panel, changed the desktop picture, installed VLC and then installed Synaptic by typing

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install synaptic
Thats all I have done.

When I click Synaptic's icon on the start menu, desktop, or application finder nothing happens.
When I type

synaptic-pkexec
into the terminal I get:

===AUTHENTICATING FOR com.ubuntu.pkexec.synaptic===
Authentication is required to run the Synaptic Package Manager
Authenticating as: root
Password:
If I type "raspberry" as the password I get an authentication failure. I dont know of any other passwords that should be on here.

What did I do wrong?
How do I get Synaptic to work?
Will I ever be any good at anything?

mattmiller

Re: Synaptic wont work on new install

Mon May 20, 2019 11:10 am

does

sudo synaptic-pkexec
get you anywhere?

klricks

Mon May 20, 2019 12:52 pm

IBrokeIt wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:54 am
I installed Raspbian Lite and XFCE on my new Pi3B+ earlier by following this guide.https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?p=890408
I made a panel, changed the desktop picture, installed VLC and then installed Synaptic by typing

sudo apt-get install synaptic
Thats all I have done.

When I click Synaptic's icon on the start menu, desktop, or application finder nothing happens.
When I type

synaptic-pkexec
into the terminal I get:

===AUTHENTICATING FOR com.ubuntu.pkexec.synaptic===
Authentication is required to run the Synaptic Package Manager
Authenticating as: root
Password:
If I type "raspberry" as the password I get an authentication failure. I dont know of any other passwords that should be on here.

What did I do wrong?
How do I get Synaptic to work?
Will I ever be any good at anything?
Possibly because you have a non standard install, Synaptic is expecting the root password. By default the root password is not set in Raspbian but can be set with:

sudo passwd root
Try that.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

IBrokeIt

Mon May 20, 2019 9:00 pm

Thanks for the replies.

sudo synaptic-pkexec
made it run and didnt ask for a password.
I feel a little dumb for not trying to sudo it before, but I was sleepy, this is my first nonstandard install, and Ive only had this pi thingy a couple of days.

Is it weird that using sudo doesnt ask for a password? Is the user 'Pi' different from a regular user or something? Should I be extra careful with 'Pi' like it's root and I could screw everything up?

When I click Synaptic's shortcut in a regular distro does it sudo it automatically? Ive never had to do this after getting Synaptic on anything else. I'd just click the icon and it would work.
I'm a helpless n00b. Please don't eat me.

rpdom

Tue May 21, 2019 6:53 am

IBrokeIt wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:00 pm
Is it weird that using sudo doesnt ask for a password? Is the user 'Pi' different from a regular user or something? Should I be extra careful with 'Pi' like it's root and I could screw everything up?
It's not that weird, it's set in the file /etc/sudoers.d/010_pi_nopasswd

pi ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
If you remove or disable (rename with a ~ or . on the end) that file you will be prompted for the pi password (which hopefully you have changed from the default).

Other than being wary of using sudo in general, "pi" is just a standard user with membership of certain groups, like gpio and sudo.

Return to “Beginners”